THE EVIL "THANK YOU" TRAY

soulfull_ladee
on 5/26/11 1:13 am
So,

My sugery is tomorrow, I am at work doing my water clear liquids thing, well, this morning was pretty crazy we had system troubles so teh staff thought it woudl be nice to offer us doughnuts and coffe cakes with powder icing and chocolate chips. So they are walking around with this big tray plates and napkins while we are at our desks, so the guy begins to set us up and I am thinking "oh, how nice" then I realized "no thank you" so then he had to pick it all back up and take it away, not that I was craving but I figured it was a nice thought until I realized what was going on! What a reward can I get another form of appreciation?? Every Monday my co workers talk about where they went to eat over the weekend the drinks they had...blah blah new recepies. The one co worker who I guess attempts to care just says something like "oh you poor thing, and here we are talking about burgers and stuff" I tried to explain it is more smelling food than hearing about it, but if I weren't paying attention the comment did not help. Twice within the last week had a friend invite me over for dinner asking me to bring my famous Monkey bread, I guess all this is to say it is so amazing how much food is incorporated in our lives!!  So now what?? It is bad to look forward to socially eating?

SassyItalian
on 5/26/11 1:33 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Temptation from food is/was a huge part of obesity for many of us..I know the feeling of wanting to poke out someone's eye with a fork when you are on liquids and everyone is eating..Christmas dinner was 3 days post op for me, imagine having to sit through that!

But you will get through the temptation, the liquid diet will be done before you know it, and the sleeve will help you make better food choices. I hope for you that the cravings are quelled post-op like mine are..I can bake and bake and never have to eat a thing..its sooo freeeing!

You may have a tough time getting a grip on "head" hunger- the mental attachment to food, but eventually if you work at it you will overcome it with the help of your sleeve.

Godspeed.
Sassy

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

soulfull_ladee
on 5/26/11 2:35 am
Wow you  have made much progress! I hear the holidays are the worst! Well mine is just before Memorial Day weekend but we usually don't do much anyways. I know what you mean about head hunger, I was just looking at the Chipotle sign and thinking how I will never eat there again, I hope that I can find something else to do with this extra money from not drinking or smoking or eating that will be the fun part!
Lalamonkey
on 5/26/11 1:39 am - GA
Can totally relate.  Had similar issues prior to surgery and a week post surgery had a dinner party.  I was flabbergasted when I first went to the grocery store too - I was overwhelmed by the amount of food and food in peoples baskets.

Hang in there - You will be amazed at how your life will change for the better.

Hugs to you and good luck with surgery - You are gonna do great!!!
soulfull_ladee
on 5/26/11 2:59 am
Thanks ofr the encouragement and hugs! I not only notice how much stuff is in peoples carts, but have you ever just looked at the general size and like health appearance of some people? I was really never one to go wow that person is really out of shape or whatever though, can you relate??
MN_Mama
on 5/26/11 2:13 am

I had a terrible time around others and their food while I was on liquids only, but now that I'm able to eat real food again, I am fine.  I just nibble, proteins first, and limit how much I take. 
This sleeve makes life MUCH easier.

Sandy S.
on 5/26/11 2:35 am
My children have been my biggest problem because they want to feed me. THey always want to share thier snacks with me.  My daughter found my favorite candy in her Easter candy and brought it to me as a surprise.  She is only 8, so she does not understand why I can't just have one candy bar.  Now, my son, who is 12, has got it. He only offers me water now. He tells her Mom is trying hard to loose weight and she is "choosing" to eat healthier things. I am really blessed.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 3:42 am, edited 5/26/11 3:42 am

You are right, food is everywhere in our lives. I never realized before just how much it was in mine. Having this surgery has also made me realize that for the first time, I actually have to change my way of celebrating things. Focus on the people, not the food. It is a strange, but good journey we are on. We are learning more about ourselves every day.

I am noticing my thinking and reactions to old food triggers is changing a lot. Before my surgery someone would bring donuts to work maybe once a year. This week someone has brought in Krispy Kreme's twice! I can honestly say they look disgusting to me now. Before, I would have eaten TWO or THREE without even thinking.

As far as the monkey bread, just practice on some new "better for you" recipes and tell them you would rather bring that.

Great post! I know where you are coming from!
Stacy160
on 5/26/11 4:10 am
We get no recognition at all from the employer, but patients?  Different story.  It's a Physical Therapy clinic, so most people we see 3x a week for at least a month.  Often it's 2-4 months and sometimes longer, and a high percentage of our patients are repeaters over the years, so they know us and we know them really well. 

There's CONSTANTLY stuff coming through the front door... sometimes it's a fruit and/or veggie tray, but typically it's homemade cookies, brownies, bagels, or a box of donuts.  Early on it wasn't difficult to resist this stuff at all, but now.... lordy, it's tough to see that stuff sitting there, and if I give in, one bite leads to another, leads to grabbing a bit every time I walk through the back office.  *sigh* 

Sucks, doesn't it??

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
Most Active