QUANTITY VS QUALITY??

soulfull_ladee
on 5/26/11 1:48 am
I notice on many posts and even in my boodk of stuff to eat  that once we are back on "foods" there is not alot of mention abou****ching fat or carbs or sodium...I know of course I want to eat things that are "good" for me, but when we are at a point of eating such a much smaller amount, is there the benefit of not having to count carbs and sugar every day or have I just not gotten that far out??
OldMedic
on 5/26/11 2:01 am - Alvaton, KY
You will need to countt carbs, at least as a percentage of your intake, until you reach a normal weight level or goal.

ALL carbs are sugars, ALL of them.  The last thing you need right now is more sugars in your body.  You need to force your body to burn off your stored calories (your FAT) in order to meet its nutritional needs.  You also need to protect your muscles, which is why you eat a primarily protein diet.

It is easier for your body to burn carbs than it is to burn off fat.  So, if you take in carbs, you stop the fat burning, or slow it down.  It works pretty much on a straight line basis, the more carbs you eat, the less fat you will burn.

I am simply amazed that any surgeon's office would do surgery on people without teachjing them the basics.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

soulfull_ladee
on 5/26/11 10:58 am
Thank you, I have noticed you have much helpful information, I do not want it to seem that I am not informed, actually, I have gotten a TON of information form teh dietician/nutritionist the nurse, my primary Dr. the physc reading movies - but all eh info can really get overwhelming, know at times our questions may seen redundant, but it is like a delayed reaction "what was I supposed to do again"? Well I am trying to stay ahead to prepare for what is next cause the whole thing is alot to take in at one time, so I have my surgery tomorrow, so besides the fluids and soft stuff I guess I want to think about what is to come or not to come cause in a sense it will not be an option cause I want to do my part in being successful....I love the wisdom! Bring it on!
ccbelle14
on 5/26/11 5:01 am - Minneapolis, MN
As you've probably realized by now, every single surgeon/nutritionist seems to have different guidelines. Mine told me aim for 50-60 grams protein day and no snacks. Nothing about carbs, veggies, etc.

Many people here folllow plans that end up being 600-800 calories/day, 40 or less carb grams. This is once you've passed mushies/pureed foods and are on to regular foods. While I don't track my food every day, I do better when I do. Tracking food - calories, carbs, water consumed etc helps me stay on plan and away from the "just one bite" of whatever happens to be around that day. I also do monitor my sodium levels.

A useful formula which I've seen often here and use myself is 3 - 2 -1. 3 bites of protein, then 2 bites of veggies, then 1 bite of cabs. It's a good ratio to keep in mind. And it does end up being about quality vs. quantity. Since we are restricted in how much we can eat, you HAVE to go for the quality food that your body needs - protein.

Good luck!

Highest Weight (2008): 360  Surgery Consult Weight: 340  Day of Surgery: 318
Height: 5'10"
soulfull_ladee
on 5/26/11 10:52 am
3-2-1 THAT IS EASY TO REMEMBER, THANKS!
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 11:01 am
Frankly- early out, I'd be surprised if you had any room for anything but protein. It's difficult to get in your target grams of protein a day just eating meat and dairy- so any extraneous room for veggies and carbs is likely not there in the beginning.. and yep- it's best to actually track the grams, vs bites- as some "carbs" are more carb dense ie pasta vs asparagus (both considered carbs). It's easy enough to track to make sure you are getting the right amounts. Every plan is different, mine is of the 800 cals (600-800) and 70+ grams protein, under 40 grams carbs.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views