smoking question

haleyh92
on 5/27/11 5:24 am
VSG on 05/18/11 with
What is the deal with smoking after surgery?  I can't remember if I was told no smoking after surgery or not.. Smoking anything from cigarettes to hookah.. anything in general. What are the rules?

Thanks!
Bigasiangirl
on 5/27/11 5:31 am
VSG on 06/01/11 with
 I don't smoke personally but from what I've read and my doc told me is... stop smoking if you do smoke.  A couple of reasons is that it can cause ulcers and pulmonary embolism.  Here is a link that I found very helpful for a positive post op life:

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguidevged42006feb.pdf

felicity2u
on 5/27/11 6:39 am - LA
There is really no point to getting the sleeve done if your going to keep smoking after surgery.  I would much rather kill myself overeating then by lung cancer so if you getting the sleeve because you worried about your heath, then I would say smoking is really going against this.  I can relate because I was a smoker until this past September and haven't touched it since! Never felt better, now especially with my sleeve and a new healthier me! Plus by not buying cigarettes and hardly eating anything, I'm saving a ton of money, lol! Good luck on your journery to a new healthy you!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

RaiderRob
on 5/27/11 8:51 am - CA
It slows down the healing process. I'm sure theres a lot more to it then that but I know for a fact about the healing part.
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 11:22 am
I quit smoking 5 years ago, but even if I still did I would stop. It can increase your chances of ulcers and cancer. With such a small stomach if you get ulcers that could be very bad. 
urmisnshin2
on 5/27/11 1:11 pm - TX

At my surgery consult, my doctor told me absolutely stop smoking first (done) and let me know that the worst leak he has ever had to take care of was a patient who started smoking again post op. He said he has seen smoking cause problems even a year out from surgery, as it stimulates acid production in the stomach.....That was enough to make me believe that I'm done with them forever if I want to get healthy again..

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views