I know my Bougie size now! LOL.. BUT!

Jamae623
on 6/1/11 2:49 am - Washington, DC
I still don't know what it means exactly and why they come in different sizes... ... Google here I come I guess lolol...

Oh, it's a 40... Is that too big?

Love you OH Fam!
Stay peace... B eZ All
~T

viola_120
on 6/1/11 2:53 am - FL
That was the size I had.  In the big scheme of everything, I don't think it makes much of a difference.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
Crabadams72
on 6/1/11 2:54 am - Silver Spring, MD
There is no standard size. It seems like the doctors do what they are comfortable with. My Dr does a 40 also. The difference in size is minimal but the sleeve stretches a little so the larger it is in the beginning--the larger after 1yr.

I think it depends more on the person though. A person with a 32 can still suck down high calorie drinks and carbs.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

USAF Wife
on 6/1/11 3:06 am
It doesn't really mean a whole lot unless the size is over 48 per the stats out on regain. The difference between a 32 and 40 is a mere 2.3mm in diameter. Your surgeon's technique, how far from the pyloric valve he staples off, how much he staples and cuts away is what matters. And, since every surgeon has a different technique, and your anatomy is unique to your body, bougie size is a TINY part of the equation for long term success.

I have a 32fr, and can suck down a 2000 calorie milkshake just the same as I did pre-op. It's choosing not to do it that makes me successful.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Jamae623
on 6/1/11 3:07 am - Washington, DC
I've never been on soda or juices... I know there's been a ongoing thing of a sleeve can stretch vs it not being able to stretch..

I just read that the average size was 32..

Either way, I love mines!

Mom4Jazz
on 6/1/11 6:39 am
Mine's a 40, and yet I see a lot of 32s who can eat much more than me at this point. At 6 weeks I don't eat 2 oz of food - if it's dense protein, which I'm gradually eating more of instead of mushies, I can only eat 1 1/2 oz at best before I feel satisfied.

I think USAF Wife is right - if bougie size was the only factor, I would be able to eat more than some 32s and there wouldn't be so much difference between folks with the same bougie size.

If your sleeve is working for you, m'lady, then it's the right size!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

wert
on 6/1/11 6:53 am - MN
Mine's a 38fr. That's 12.5 centimeters = about 1/2 inch. I have a TON of restriction. I'm trying to follow Frisco's idea to eat under my sleeve capacity. So far I'm doing it with no problem.

A 40fr. would be a fraction larger than mine. Like they all say, it's what you put in it that counts. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Carmelita
on 6/1/11 8:12 am - Four Corners, NM
Oh, it's a 40... Is that too big?

NOPE!!  Yer weight has nothing to do with the size of your stomach...altered or not.

the only things that give US the edge on this war with obesity...is huge loss of appetite stimulating hormone ghrelin, and restriction - the AMOUNT we can shovel in at a time!
Changing our behaviours is the SOLUTION.

check out my blog...includes PUBLISHED studies on bougie sizes in VSG gotta scroll down some includes: 
32F bougies and 44F bougies showing EXACT SAME eventual weight loss at 5 yrs POST 
and
60F and 40F bougies showing EXACT SAME eventual weight loss at 1 yr. POST

BOUGIES in VSG
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views