Dr discouraged me!

jennhales
on 5/31/11 2:11 pm - lehi, UT
I am 5+ years banded and looking for a revision.

Tonight I went one of those seminars that the Dr's offices have you do before making an apt.   The Dr. Gave us four different options Lap band, RNY, Duobenel Switch, and Sleeve.  I went in thinking that the sleeve was the way to go.  Band is out since I am looking for a revision, Switch is out since MY BMI is not high enough.  Which leaves RNY and Sleeve.  I was leaning towards Sleeve.  Almost like a no brainer for me why would anyone have and RNY when the sleeve seems less invasive, they don't need detach anything and rehook it to something else.   However the Dr really encourages RNY.  Says that the sleeve is so new that there arn't any long term studies, that the weight loss with RNY is better and that since the Band didn't work for me that RNY is the way to go.  

I had never even considered RNY..........   Second opinion tomorrow.
Jen
Ms Shell
on 5/31/11 2:17 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Second opinion GREAT idea...sounds like this surgeon is pro RnY...

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

sleeve genie
on 5/31/11 2:21 pm - Alhambra, CA
Personally i would say go with the sleeve,   my doctor wanted to do the bypass,  they make more money on that surgery.  Also its true that as a stand alone wls there are no long term studies, however, the sleeve is a gastrectomy,  and there are plenty of long term studies on that.  My father had ulcers and in 1950 he had a gastrectomy where they removed a large part of his tummy d/t ulcers and they do it for stomach cancer as well.   They noticed one of the side effects was that people lost weight.  My father lived for many years and did fine,  he just didn't eat a lot but he lived another 45 yrs and died in his late 70s.  Like you i didn't like the fact that they re arranged the intestines.  Mine work just fine thank you.  Also lots of studies coming out now about rny down the road people have lots of issues.  Weight regain when the malabsorption of fats /calories stops working but you will never again absorb any nutrients from food thus very strict about supplements.    Most ethical surgeons will tell you its best to keep you pyloric valve.  I think you are smart to get another opinion,  many surgeons don't do sleeves or haven't done that many since insurance just really started approving them.  Lots of people on this forum had a band and revised to the sleeve and the LOVE It    good luck :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

ckitchens
on 5/31/11 2:21 pm - Houston, TX
GavinC
on 5/31/11 2:27 pm
My guess is he/she gets more money for the RNY.  There are long term studies on the sleeve.  They've been doing partial stomach reoval for years and years, for other medical reasons than losing weight.

Do your research, and then tell the surgeon what YOU want, not what HE wants.
Ladydivigirl
on 5/31/11 2:46 pm

When I was visiting various Doctors to discuss WLS..most of them recommended RNY because of the amount of weight I had to lose, but my primary care physician insisted that I NOT do it and instead opt for the sleeve. He said he would rather me take a longer time to lose the weight than to have the long term complications with the RNY. I chose the sleeve and I am sooooo happy I did...The next opinion will probably be to go with the RNY...the doctor's office manager told me that insurance companies are much quicker to approve RNY, not so easy with the sleeve. I don't regret having the sleeve....I LOVE MY SLEEVE. Do what's BEST for YOU...no one else...

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
frisco
on 5/31/11 3:34 pm

I would totally listen to what he is telling you !!!!

He is telling you he doesn't have much experience doing the VSG and has no personal success/data with the Sleeve.

My surgeon has over 10 years of VSG experience with over 1600 VSG's done. He has revised his techniques several times to his current surgery. His personal data shows VSG and RNY results to be similar.

The thing is.... The VSG is not a standardized procedure. Please try and find a surgeon that has both a history of doing revisions and a successful VSG program.

Best of luck to you and hope your 2nd. opinion goes well!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

tee4change
on 5/31/11 3:47 pm - NY
Had a similiar experience.... Went to a seminar that was not into sleeves. They were pushing for bands and RNY's. I just researched a surgeon thats pro sleeve and kindly moosied on down to  his seminar. Needless to say I sat there all smiles. The choice is yours.
tee4change
on 5/31/11 3:49 pm - NY
oh and dido to friscos post!!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 3:47 pm
What Frisco said. 

There are more and more studies coming out showing why RNY is not great in the long run.  Find a doctor that has a great track record with the VSG and go for it.  I reached goal in 6.5 months and have maintained ever since, almost two years out now.  I love my VSG and so do most of the people here.
Most Active