Celery

farleyskat
on 6/6/11 7:27 am - St. Helen, MI
Does anyone know if celery is possible when you're on soft foods, or is it just wishful thinking?  And I'm talking little celery here, chopped up in chicken sald.  Thanks

farleyskat
on 6/6/11 7:28 am - St. Helen, MI
I tried to get in contact with my nut., but couldn't ger her to ask.

DragonGirl
on 6/6/11 7:34 am - MN
I wouldn't do it Hun! Celery is tough to digest..especially in a new tummy! Cooked and mushy in a soup...no problem. But raw...I'd hold off for a while if I were you.
 Just my .02...ultimately it's your call!

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
KrisJ77
on 6/6/11 7:53 am - TX
I wouldn't - at 6 weeks I was cleared for salad but my surgeon said no celery.

disabled_nurse
on 6/6/11 7:49 am - Bogalusa, LA
I don't think so..............like pineapple they are stringy....................the strings can get caught on your suture line if eaten before your new tummy is healed. I just added pickles in mine, and put them through the food processor.

jengo1971
on 6/6/11 7:53 am
No way!!  Couldn't have that until 3 months out.  Might seem a bit conservative to some but better safe than sorry, right?

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
MN_Mama
on 6/6/11 8:36 am
I was told the strings ball up (like fishing line in a birds gut) and can cause blockages, even if you cut it small.  
I'm 3 months out on a sleeve and get to indulge in a celery stick with peanut butter now and then, but not before the 3 month mark.  
It's worth the wait.....your health is worth it. 

ms_dar
on 6/6/11 8:38 am - Canada
Definate NO..you wouldn't want a little bit of string from celery getting caught up on one of your staples. Wait three months for scar tissue to totally cover the staple line before having anything stringy or with small seeds (think berries)

Valerie S.
on 6/6/11 8:39 am - CA
I was actually told by my Kaiser doctor no celery or corn ever again! Sounds extreme I know but I won't miss the celery, maybe corn at some point. I think they said the same about shredded coconut.
Momof2Sweeties
on 6/7/11 10:22 am - NJ
I guess I am out of the norm..I have been eating celery, pineapple, coconut since I 1 month from surgery...I have had no problems with it, but as usual, you should talk to your dr and follow his/her guidelines...

Shannon

Most Active