I can't get to sleep at night!

Sabrina R.
on 6/6/11 8:45 am - CA

I haven't been able to get to sleep till 1am for the past 3 nights! And I went back to work today!  Does anyone know what we can take?

Thank!
Hopefully snoaring tonight!

kimberly_gr
on 6/6/11 9:02 am
I have a couple of suggestions.  First, get to the gym, if you aren't already doing so, and do a vigorous exercise routine.  I find if I wear myself out physically, the sleep follows.

Sometimes if my body gets into a bad sleep rhythm like you're experiencing, I'll come home and take 2 benedryl around 6:00.  It usually knocks me out within an hour or so, and because I've gone to sleep so early, I don't have to worry about any lingering lethargy (my husband and I call it the benedryl hangover).  It seems like just breaking that going-to-sleep late cycle gets me back on track.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Sabrina R.
on 6/6/11 9:13 am - CA
Thanks Kim!  But I haven't been released for exercise yet. :(  Maybe I'll try the benedryl. :)

Sabrina

kimberly_gr
on 6/6/11 10:04 am
Ooops! Didn't realize you were only a few weeks out.

Good luck getting to sleep.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

LittleMissSunshine
on 6/6/11 9:13 am
Where you're only in week 2, I don't know that a gym workout would be the best thing (especially if you're having the wiped out feeling I am).  Have you tried sleeping in different spots?  I found that I don't sleep very well in my bed, but I'm out like a light on the couch.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Eileen36
on 6/6/11 9:41 am - PA
I've always suffered from insomnia and exercise doesn't help me, unfortunately. You can try a cup of chamomile tea made with two bags. That's what I used immediately after. If I get in a bad sleep rut I'll try benedryl or tylenol pm (which is the same thing but with tylenol added. Good luck. Insomnia sucks!

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
Herbie55
on 6/6/11 10:50 am - MI
Tylenol PM works great for me also.
Crunchy As Can Be
on 6/7/11 1:41 am - NY
I'm not big on taking medications when I don't need to (I take enough pills without having to take extra ones as needed!). And when you get cleared for the gym that'll help, but only if you finish your exercise AT LEAST 3-4 hours before you're aiming to get to sleep... otherwise you'll have too many endorphins circulating.

Not to sound too presumptuous or anything, but if I'm really tossing and turning and have to wake up early the next day, I strive for an ****** puts me right out with the quick release of feel-good neurotransmitters.

Good luck!
 ~~Emily~~

Sabrina R.
on 6/7/11 6:09 am - CA
I used to take Tylenol PM, but they seem like they would be to big, so i bought some Sleep II's. They're smaller than a regular asprin and WOW, did I sleep last night! :)

Most Active