Surgery June 3rd - open incision - very long

bursonc
on 6/9/11 8:58 am
I was 266 when I went in to get my pre-op meal supplies.
I only had to do pre-op for one week since I was having an open surgery.
(Had a lap band placed in June 2008 and removed September 2009).
Only lost 4 pounds during pre-op diet - didn't cheat.

Checked in June 3rd at 7:00 a.m.
They gave me a local to deaden the area they were going to put the I V in.  First time I've ever had this.  It was wonderful.  Never felt the I V. 
Took me back for surgery at 9:00.  Surgery took about 2 hours.  I have a 10 inch scar on my left side of stomach with staples. 

After surgery:  mouth was very very dry. Those going to surgery - make sure you take some lip moisture of some kind.  I was out of it until about 2:30.  When I came to, I wanted ice.  They let me have crushed ice.  1 tsp at a time.  I had about 1 tsp every 45 mins or so.  Maybe less -maybe longer at times, but pretty much that was it.  All I had the day of surgery was ice.  It was WONDERFUL.  My mouth was so dry.   Had a catheter that day and night.

The next morning - still crushed ice.  They took my catheter out that morning.  Now the pressure was on.  They gave me 8 hours to go.. or have it put back in.  

At noon, they brought me a meal.  Broth, jello, tea, SPRITE,   The smell of the broth made me feel sick.  I didn't want the jello either.  I used a teaspoon and did a teaspoon of tea about every 30 minutes.  It was great.  Still had dry mouth (maybe it was the pain meds ... morphine drip.)  I continued to eat ice - very very slowly.  Gave the SPRITE to my mom.  I think the surgeon, nurses, and kitchen staff have communication problems.  They said they have asked forever for them to not put it on there, but they continue.  So I guess it is for the person staying with us. 
Dinner was the same meal.  Again, I only had the tea.  Then more ice. 

Finally went to the restroom!!!! Yeah!!!!  and once it got started.... it was continuous. 
I was up walking the hall or going to the restroom.  The pain meds were not working.  I couldn't rest,  I was very jittery.  I asked could I have something else.  They took my pump out and gave me liquid hydrocodiene.  I SLEPT LIKE A BABY.   I had no idea I had been hurting as bad as I had been.  I slept.  Woke up and ate some ice, Got more liquid pain meds and went back out for the night.  Oh yea.  Sometime that day they took out my drain.  That was not  pleasant.  It didn't hurt bad, just gross.

Sunday morning - day 3 in hospital - 2 days after surgery.  Same breakfast.  Tried a little jello, but mostly did tea.  They took out my small drain next to staples and took one staple out to show my mom how to do it.   Then they sent us on our way.

Stopped and got pain meds filled on the way home.  Most trouble I had with open incision was getting in and out of hospital bed.  The same at home.  I HAVE LIVED OFF OF SNOCONE ICE.  My daughter has a ice shaver we got at Wal Mart.  I shave a few pieces of ice.  Add mio flavoring to it, or add splenda and vanilla flavoring.  That's it.  I've also had a few cans of chicken noodle soup ...add the water, cook, and then strain it.  Just do a teaspoon of broth at a time.  Much better than regular 'BROTH".

Before surgery - 266
Surgery - 262
Today - 248 ( total lost - 18;  in 6 days lost 14)

Sorry so long.  Just haven't read much on here about open incisions and wanted to share my experience.
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 9:13 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Feel better.  Sorry you ended up having to have an open surgery. Thank you for sharing for the next person who has a need to know!!

Take care of you!

skinimini
on 6/9/11 10:22 am
Sorry you had the open incision. Did they tell you why? Did it have to do with the old lapband in some way?

As for the morphine pump, when I had my c-sections, I had a morphine pump. Did NOTHING for me!! As soon as they put me on Hydrocodone, I was great also! I had pre-op yesterday and asked the surgeon if they were going to be using morphine. He said no, and why did I ask. I told him the reasoning. He said to just list morphine as one of my allergies, and I won't ever get it again. So that's what I did when I went to the hospital to have my appt. with the anesthesiologist.

14 lbs. in 6 days!!! Great! I hope I do that! ( surgery tomorrow!!)

Get better quick!!

Sheri

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

Heidi V.
on 6/9/11 10:41 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
They gave you sprite???? Are they trying to hurt your poor little tummy?

Congrats on your new sleeve and the weightloss.

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

NessaNicole845
on 6/9/11 11:40 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 01/17/12
 Congrats and glad to hear your doing ok, Thank you for sharing your experience...wow 14lbs thats fantastic!  

Shame on the kitchen for putting Sprite on your tray... smh

I'm Changing my life for me, no one else!
Seminar weight: 488.5 current weight: 375 Goal Weight: 210

Most Active