FIRED!??

soulfull_ladee
on 6/21/11 11:10 pm
Back to work after 5/27 sugery and everything is a mess!  So... I tried to go back to work early and it really did not work out, now I am in trouble about my attendance! I am not sure if I am going to get through this guys, I am trying to stay positive, I have an awesome job, with great benefits, which is how I was able to even make this life changing journey, so now it looks like I will have the best and the worst things in my life going on!! Need some words of encouragement please!
Carly ~
on 6/21/11 11:19 pm
 I'm in Canada, but here -- they cannot fire you if you are medically excused.  All that we need to provide is a note from your doctor saying you were off for medical reasons.
Hopefully something similar is there for you.
Everyone heals differently, and if you are off on medical leave, they shouldn't be able to fire you.

Hope everything works out for you!

BeautyisherGODgiven
name

on 6/21/11 11:22 pm
I would do a pronged intervention.
1. Go to my manager and express how pleased I am to work there and how I see the company as a part of my future. Is there anything I can do to improve or advance. Ask for timelines and projects you can help with your skillset.
2. Look really hard at the people around you and the skill they bring to the table, in the current workforce you need to be able to handle more than just your responsibility. Show them how much of an asset you are not by telling them but with skills and maybe helping others.

I wish you the best of luck
Follow my progress: www.youtube.com/user/livictori                           

joie_de_sleeve
on 6/21/11 11:30 pm - IN
I didn't think they could fire you if you were off from FMLA. Doesn't federal law say that if you qualify for FMLA, they must hold your job or a comparable one?

Other than that, you might consider putting out feelers for another job. Even if they don't fire you, if it were me, I would question whether or not I would want to work for a company/people who use health issues as an excuse to push someone out of her job. I would question their ethics.
Beth M.
on 6/22/11 12:21 am - KS
I went back 2 weeks after surgery and after the first day I realized I had made a mistake.  I contacted HR and my dr. and had my leave extended.  I had surgery April 29th and returned June the 6th.  It was the best thing i could have done for myself.  I kept my job and took care of me.
goddessofthelight
on 6/22/11 12:23 am - Klamath Falls , OR
I have seen other coworkers being fired for illnesses and families illness which are supposed to be covered by FMLA/OMFLA (Oregon Medical Family leave act). I would recommend contacting your state's Bureau of Labor and Industries
Caligirlgina
on 6/22/11 12:48 am - CA
I definately agree with the other posters. I don't believe they can fire you. You need to contact a lawyer maybe and find out your rights.
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

anyeaj
on 6/22/11 12:53 am - NJ
I agree about the FMLA, i had surgery on 3/21 and i am on FMLA for 1 year post op. it covers appointment and ill time. You can request the paperwork from your employer. Remember God will give you no more the you can bear.
anninva
on 6/22/11 2:43 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
WTF?!?!?!?  must be covered by FMLA.  talk to HR and the Labor Dept Office of Civil Rights/ADA.  you can find the # on the web.  I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  the surgery experience is hard enough in the beginning.  (((((((((hugs)))))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MediumSoon
on 6/22/11 3:31 am - TX
What state are you in? As for FMLA - the leave has to be continuous - can't be days here and there. The law is VERY specific. I would definitely contact HR, explain your cir****tances, and ask what you need to do - do you need to go on extended leave to save your job? It's possible. I would express that you WANT to come to work as much as possible but need to make sure you aren't going to be fired for attendance problems.

Most Active