Travel and VSG

megamommy
on 6/25/11 6:15 am
I travel alot and have decided to have the VSG. Can you tell me if I travel a lot by plane what items to eat should I take with me? thanks!
roundater
on 6/25/11 6:27 am - Lincoln, NE
Might try some beef jerky. a 2 oz stick has 28 grams of protein in it with only 150 calories and 5 carbs. Has long shelf life and is portable. Good luck.
Rich Sonderegger

Elaine2
on 6/25/11 6:33 am - Atlanta, GA
If you're talking just about airport and flying time-----
****I would take a blender bottle (12 oz ?) and store some protein powders in little snack bags so you can just ge****er after security and shake it up. I would also take some of the crystal lite singles for the same purpose.
****I would have some small snacks like jerky or cheese crisps (Just the Cheese at Amazon) for your snack on the plane.
****In winter, you might carry some tuna packets/fork or something similar just in case you got stuck with a long wait.

Being prepared is always helpful.

Congrats on your decision.  Good luck.

megamommy
on 6/25/11 7:21 am
thank you! One of my concerns is my travel and airport fast food will not work with my new lifestyle

tjosato
on 6/25/11 9:03 am - Ofallon, IL
Its all about being prepared or at least having a backup in case things dont work out. On a recent trip I had a 6:15 am flight. That meant rushing out the house at 4:30am and skipping breakfast at home. While waiting for my flight I grabbed a ham egg and cheese on english muffin sandwich from dunkin donuts in the concourse. I boarded the plane and ate the sandwich.  I took one of the english muffin slices off and just ate about 3/4 of the ham egg cheese combo with the other slice of english muffin.  I put it away at takeoff and thought everything was cool. Then about 5 minutes into the flight I started feeling like I was going to puke. Not like the foamies or got something stuck this was full on puke. The second the captain turned off the fasten seat belt sign I dashed to the bathroom to get rid of the sandwich. At the time I was 2 months post op and was the first time I ate untoasted white bread, which is typically not VSG friendly. Lesson learned.

Fortunately, I had my protein powder in a baggie and some almonds for a backup. There was no milk or yogurt on board the plane so I had to wait until I got to my layover to make a shake. The key is that I was prepared and had some backups.

When I travel I find breakfast in the airport is usually a bunch of carby crap. So I tend to just have a shake with milk I buy in the airport. Remember that RTD shakes are too big and will get tossed by the TSA in a carryon. Lunch and dinner I can usually find something VSG friendly, depending on the size of the airport.

Most Active