Post Op Protein

Jhb617
on 6/29/11 11:21 pm - Livonia, MI
I was under the impression that immediately post op you began your protein shakes, however, I met with a gir friend last night you had the sleeve done and she said that she was told that you have liquid protein (Nature's Best Isopure) during the clear liquid stage post op until you see the doctor, then you typically start the protein shakes after your first doc appointment.  Does this sound right?  So confused.  I looked in the book from my NUT, but it just says "protein" it doesn't really specify.

Any guidance would be appreciated!!  Thanks!
Pbell
on 6/29/11 11:35 pm
 That is what happened to me, I couldn't start shakes till a week out!

2muchfluff
on 6/29/11 11:47 pm
I started my shakes in the hospital the day following surgery after a mandatory leak check.  I think it is probably according to your surgeon's preference.

bursonc
on 6/30/11 12:28 am
I couldn't start the shakes until 2 weeks out.  My doctor told me not to worry about getting  protein in the first two weeks.  He just said I needed to concentrate on staying hydrated for those two weeks.  Honestly... you'll want so very little.  You'll be fine. 
I lived off of shaved ice and water.  I would make a coffee cup full of shaved ice (sno-cone  maker from Wal Mart "Rival" that I bought for the kids a few years back) and fill it half way with water.  Use a teaspoon and eat ice and water ... 1 tsp at a time.
I started Unjury shakes at 2 weeks. 
I hate the isopure stuff  It is awful. 
I also bought some liquacell protein online - grape flavored.  It is terrble too.  I can do it if I have to.  
Hope this helps.

Could_It_Be
on 6/30/11 12:29 am
I was to start protein shakes or drinks as soon as I could tolerate them. This was about 4 days post op.
Caligirlgina
on 6/30/11 12:38 am - CA
Every doctor has a different protocal. My doctor made me do clear liquids for the first 3 days, whi*****lued the isopure (clear) drinks. On day four I was allowed full liquids, whi*****luded protein shakes. However, he told me to focus on staying hydrated moreso then getting protein in. I luckily have had no problem with either
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

felicity2u
on 6/30/11 12:59 am - LA
I was able to start them right away because they were water based so my doctor considers them a clear liquid but follow your own doctor's instructions, not what anyone else tells you!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

emelar
on 6/30/11 1:08 am - TX
Depends on your doc and dietitian.  I was released on full liquids and could drink shakes immediately.  If you're released on clears first, you'd probably have to stick with Isopure or Nectar until you moved to fulls.  Do what your doctor directs.
Danata J.
on 6/30/11 1:16 am - La Verne, CA
I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks poat op then I started protein shakes. I would check with your doctor or NUT.
  HW- 265  SW- 240  GW- 150    

hmd77
on 6/30/11 1:19 am - KY
I could do protein shakes that were mixed with water for two weeks. Then I moved into full liquids whi*****ludes milk based protein drinks. Sounds pretty normal.

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

Most Active