Pop-Pop's down 153 lbs. @ 7 mos. post-op; thanks OH

johnbertak
on 7/1/11 1:29 pm - MD
Yep - I crossed another threshold this week - I'm down a whopping 153 lbs. since having my VSG the day before Thanksgiving.  It's been an intense, focused, sometimes difficult, but exceedingly rewarding 7 months.  (New pix on profile page)
Truth is, I lost 24 pre-op and the rest since.  I'm now a zealot about the benefits of WLS (VSG in particular) and the amazing outcomes that are possible - I've lost diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and all the other aches and pains that went with morbid obesity.  Here's a brief re-cap of how I've done it:
SUPPORT:  First, thanks to all the OH'ers who have been on this journey with me.  Your candor, humor, wisdom and inspiration have helped propel me every step of the way - (hint to the newbies - the more support you can muster for this journey the better off you will be - yes, we're doing this for ourselves, but the reality is that support provides incentives and rewards along the way.)
DETERMINATION:  When I/we (wifey and I) made the final decision to have WLS, I also made a "contract with myself."  It goes something like this:  "I agree to be on a surgically-assisted, medically-supervised program of rapid weight loss and intense exercise for an 18-24 month loss-window and then begin a lifetime program of mindful maintenance."  I have followed that contract every day pre and post op.
I eat on an exact schedule - 4 mini-meals per day @ 4 hr. intervals and I rarely snack.  (If I'm golfing or traveling, I may have a cheese stick or a few (like 6 or 8) almonds; that's it.)  My daily calorie intake is between 1100-1400, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.  I followed the necessary pre and post op diets and now eat a reasonably normal menu.  Wifey (not a patient) and I eat about 90% the same diet - I just eat a lot less than she does.  I read food labels carefully - I avoid high-sugar or high-fat items, and don't eat a lot of processed foods like bread or crackers.  But I'll have a min-bagel w/peanut butter once in a while; or 5 saltines w/chili or soup.  I eat a lot of chicken, seafood and some red meats on occasion.  I eat a well-balanced diet w/ lots of fruits and veggies.
ACCOUNTABILITY:  I religiously record EVERY bite I eat - I know exactly how much I've consumed at the end of the day and I know if I've been "good" or not - mostly I'm good.  I don't lie to my computer the way I used to lie to myself about how much I eat or drink.  I gave up all alcohol for 7 months and now drink a ****tail when I feel like it - but like everything else, alcohol goes into my computer and I can see exactly how many "empty" calories I've enjoyed.
SECRET WEAPONS:  My "secret weapons" in the nutrition area have been protein shakes (I prefer Unjury) and almonds.  I drank a double-scoop protein shake w/ 8 oz. of 1% milk every single day for breakfast for six months post-op.  It provided the major a.m. protein boost (48 g) that I needed and it meant I had no food decisions to make in the morning.  I now do single shakes 4/5 days per week for breakfast.  (Newbies, disregard anyone who says "the body can't use that much protein at one time"  The double protein shake regimen worked for my friend (145 lbs. lost last year) and it's worked for me - my dietitian loves the idea).
Almonds are my go-to "crunch" food - I eat no more than 25 in a day, but I eat them about 5 days a week. 
I EXERCISE EVERY DAY - EVERY SINGLE DAY - No fancy machines (I use my treadmill when it rains) or expensive clubs or classes - I just walk my ass off to walk my ass off.  I started by walking a half-mile pre-op, then a mile, then another.... I now walk a brisk 4 miles daily in my hilly neighborhood on days when I'm not walking the golf course.  If I'm traveling and can't exercise, I double-down the next day to make up for it.  I burn a minimum of 500 aerobic calories daily; if I'm not sweating at the end of my walk, I haven't walked hard enough.  If I hurt, I take a pill.  I EXERCISE EVERY DAY - oh, I said that already - so I must think that's important, huh?
SUPPORT:  I'm indebted to all those who love me who have been so supportive of my journey - my family, my neighbors, my golf buds, everyone has been so great; what a wonderful thing to share with all of them. 
I believed 100% in the program that I signed up for - the surgery, the nutrition, the exercise.  I also believed that 95% of the "program" was in my hands once I left the hospital - so I took charge of my life and made it happen - every single day.  I'm thinking as I read this forum and others, look, I'm 65-years-old - if I can do this weight-loss thing, then I'm pretty sure most people who have WLS can also reach their goals.  It takes discipline and consistency and support and hard work and sweat; a lot of sweat.  It's not easy.  It is worth it.
Got to go to bed now; tee-time is 6 a.m. tomorrow - that will be another 7+ mile walk in the woods - bought new driver today and I'm anxious to test it out.  Life is good for this ol' geezer.
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

LonnieThatGirl D.
on 7/1/11 1:37 pm
 As a pre-VSG'er (July 29 is surgery date), I LOVE this post!!! 

Thanks for all the helpful ideas. I think I will print it and keep it as a reminder.
roundater
on 7/1/11 1:37 pm - Lincoln, NE
Good words of wisdom. hope to be joining you soon on my journey.
Rich Sonderegger

LonnieThatGirl D.
on 7/1/11 1:40 pm
 And congrats on the weight loss!!!
MediumSoon
on 7/1/11 2:09 pm - TX
Great advice!!

jennjenn07
on 7/1/11 2:20 pm, edited 7/1/11 2:20 pm

I love this post...it's good for people like me who sometimes stray just a bit from the program...posts like this help keep me on track

frisco
on 7/1/11 2:32 pm

Pop Pop is doin it !!!

Congrats.......!!!!

The lesson from this is......here is a person that is 90% Commitment 10% surgery.....

There are folks on this board or people thinking about WLS that think it's flipped.....

Do you think 10% Commitment and 90% surgery works ?????

Please take a few lessons from Pops here.... Dude is 65yo and was over 400lbs. !!!!

Good on yah bud !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 2:37 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
I'm with Frisco! Way to go Pop -Pop!
theshrinkingmimi
on 7/2/11 11:46 am
ditto Frisco.  This is so inspirational.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
kaydemo
on 7/1/11 3:51 pm - TX
Wow!  Congratulations on a job well done!  This may be the single most practical post I've seen yet!  Thanks for the encouraging words!  I think I'll copy and post this on my fridge! Thanks again!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views