does anyone else struggle?

eisenware
on 7/5/11 7:16 pm - Houston, TX
Does anyone else struggle with VSG and other Daley battles with alcohol or drugs? What works for you? Has anyone had help thru a twelve step programed towards gastro patients?
One year out and I have lost over 220 lbs. and I thought I would be happier than I am, why does it seem to be one extreme for another? Whether eating the wrong foods or over eating the GOOD foods (my problem) why do i feel the need to numb myself each night?
Does anyone else struggle?

suthernqueen
on 7/5/11 8:29 pm
Yes. I struggle daily with my eating. I choose the right food but still eat til stuffed and not just satisfied.

I have tried slowing down and talking to myself, do u really need another bite. So far nothng has helped.

I just keep working on it every meal. I know it will come but can be very discouraging.

Coming here really helps me to keep trying and not give up!!!

eisenware
on 7/7/11 1:17 pm - Houston, TX
me too, me too!

roundater
on 7/5/11 8:58 pm - Lincoln, NE
A lot of support groups use the 12 steps for addictions (mine does). Check one out besides this forum. It can be a game changer. Let me know if I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 10:21 pm
I truly believe therapy works directly with my sleeve and is the reason I am being successfull. If you never fix or deal with the real reasons we are overweight- because it's more than just overeating- I think it is a def struggle even with the sleeve.

SkinnyKrissy
on 7/5/11 10:27 pm - NJ
Yes I am already struggling here 2 weeks since my surgery and without food, caffeine or alcohol each day has been tough! I am thinking about therapy or OA meetings or something. I realize I have had an addiction problem for a long time, whether it was smoking, drinking eating or other things. So if you really dont "work" on those underlying issues, you will never succeed. You have lost SO much weight- you owe it to yourself to talk to a therapist,. ASk your surgeon for a referral and DO NOT feel bad about it! Why do you think SO MANY people lose weight after surgery and then gain it back or become alcoholics? Its VERY hard  and its OK to need help. You worked so hard to get the weight off, you need to talk to someone- talk to your surgeon, get a referral. xo
eisenware
on 7/7/11 1:16 pm - Houston, TX
thanks for the great advise and congrats on your new chapter!

dec721
on 7/5/11 11:20 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Oh yes, even here at almost three years out.  "Hi, my name is Dorothy, and I'm a compulsive overeater and a food addict."  Even if I weren't struggling, that would still be my byline.

The struggle comes, I'm convinced, when we allow simple carbs and sugar back in, which I did about a year and a half post-wls.  I had been sick and in the hospital and a nursing home (not wls-related), and I got really emaciated.  The doctor told me to gain weight any way I could.  She suggested I eat lots of ice cream.  Hello!  Don't say that to a sugar addict!  Now I'm 20 pounds over my goal.

Once I started back on the simple carbs and sugar, the struggle started back again.  I had been in such peace until then.  Now I can't, or won't, "cut the crap," so every day is a struggle again.  I have to decide which I want more -- peace and being at goal, or crap food.  Right now, I'm chosing crap.  

Dang it.
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

laurenskapolska
on 7/5/11 11:59 pm - Windsor Locks, CT
Boy, it's hard isn't it?  I feel sometimes like a drink myself.  Indulged a few times, but trying not to let demons get the best of me.
cmgg1972
on 7/6/11 12:10 am
my struggles are not with alcohol are drugs. im an emotional eater so food was/is my 'drug'.  from what i have been told/read when we have surgery it is possible that addictions can transfer.  i think someone suggested a 12 step program.  i highly recommend it and therapy.  i went through a christian centered recovery a few years ago (celebrate recovery)  and i really found it helpful.  the environment was very supportive.  i see my therapist weekly and have been doing so prior to surgery.

i take it one day at a time, sometime one hour at a time.  i also suggest finding a post-op support group.  im sure that you will find support there.

all i can offer is (((hugs)))).  just commit to loving yourself by changing your behavior.  take small steps and celebrate the small victories.  what we have done is HUGE.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views