having trouble with protein shakes, help!

haleyh92
on 7/11/11 10:47 am
VSG on 05/18/11 with
 I have tried both the premium protein shakes from costco and also a protein whey powder. The shakes made my stomach upset so I never finish them and today I tried the powder in milk as a shake and ended up throwing it up. I haven't been able to get all of my protein in ever since I had surgery and I don't want to put my body through any more harm! Please help if you have had this problem or if you have ways around it.. 

Thanks!!

janine A.
on 7/11/11 10:50 am
well i had a hard time with protein shakes u can try oh yeahs or try to put a little sf chocolate sryup in it it made it better for me
Lynn5707
on 7/11/11 10:56 am - IN
I do not like the protein drinks very much either. Yesterday tho, I made one with about 4 oz milk, 4 oz Greek yogurt and one scoop vanilla powder, the brand was Jay Robb's and it was pretty good. I just put it in a blender. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to drink it but I did. It had about 44 gm of protein in it.

Today, I tried a chocolate one using injury, Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup dry milk, 1 cup skim milk it totaled over 50 protein, but I just could not drink it all.

I think adding the Greek yogurt adds about 12 to 15 grams of protein depending upon the brand. It also seems to help with taste.

HTH

Lynn
2BSheila
on 7/11/11 11:57 am - Nashville, TN
I started drinking the EAS Carb Advantage when I was 2 weeks post op and still enjoy them.  They are ready to drink, so no prep and I can carry them to work.  And, at less than $5 for a 4 pack, they are affordable.  Only 17g of protein, but for 110 cals & 3 carbs, they work for me.  I like "Rich, Dark Chocolate".  Really, I like them, go figure.

roundater
on 7/11/11 12:13 pm - Lincoln, NE
Sorry you are having the problem. i like the suggestion of adding greek yogurt to the shake. Hopefully that will help.
Rich Sonderegger

JuicyGreenApple
on 7/11/11 12:17 pm - IL
I know of some protein pills you can take from Bariatric Choice but you have to take so many.  I also tried a protein shot which was only 3 ounces so it went down pretty well.  Also try Isopure protein ready to drink (not the smoothie ones)  They are really hard to get down.  Isopure is quite expensive but they put me in the mind of Gatorade.  I haven't found that really good or delicious shake yet either.  But some are more tolerable than others.  I am only 2 weeks post-op and I can only down about 30-40grams of protein anyway.  Also if you can, eat a protein bar.
LittleMissSunshine
on 7/11/11 12:21 pm

Have you tried Unjury at all?  Their powders are medical grade quality... possibly gentler on your stomach?  I like the Chocolate Splendor flavor, you can actually get away with mixing it just in water and it tastes fine -- that might be more tolerable to your stomach too.  I've heard some people have a hard time with milk/dairy products for a while post-op.

You might also try Syntrax Nectars (I haven't yet, but saved this link to order sample packs on my next paycheck):

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SYNTRAX_NECTAR_PROTEIN_POWD ER_SAMPLES_p/nectar-sample.htm

I just picked up a couple of Jay Robb samples today... only had the vanilla with soy milk, not bad!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

roseselene
on 7/11/11 12:29 pm
I too am having a hard time with the protein shakes.  pre op they were ok, but post op i find them completely disgusting and cause nausea.  I've been primarily relying on milk as my main source of protein until I can eat some real food.  I just can't stomach them....don't know why.
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

angieb77
on 7/11/11 1:05 pm - Blaine, MN
My nurse suggested that I mix my protein powder with 4oz fat free milk (I use lactaid fat free because I have a tiny bit of lactose intolerance) and with 4oz water.  I****ers down the shake and makes it less thick and easier to swallow.  I use Pure Protein (available at Target) in frosty chocolate.  I also really recommend Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials.  It doesn't have as much protein as a protein shake but it tastes just like chocolate milk. 

I also really like the Pure Protein Peanut Butter protein bars (available at Target).  That might be something you want to try.  I think it tastes like a healthier version of a reeses peanut butter cup.  You might have to space it out over the day in order to eat a whole bar tho.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

diane S.
on 7/11/11 1:58 pm
you could try a soy based protein powder if the whey ones dont work. but also try drinking just one or two ounces at a time and put the rest in the fridge or freezer and try another 2 ounces after an hour. icy icy cold goes down easier for some of us. a big glass is daunting. a little cordial glass full seems easier to get down.  also ask your surgeon or dietician for help here. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views