Nasty protein shakes yucky!

Cristina S.
on 7/18/11 11:21 pm - New Britain, CT
I'm sure this has been asked many times but how can I improve the taste of these shakes. My surgeon requires Bariatric Advantage preop and now I am trying to stomach some strawberry. I added skim milk thinking it would be yummy but nope it tastes like strawberry milk (I was hoping it would taste like strawberry slimfast lol). I also got chocolate which wasn't too bad. It's just so thick and globby. Any advice?

Donna W.
on 7/19/11 12:01 am - TX
Hi  I am right there with you, protein shakes are not all that great. I bought some sugar free syrups (for flavored coffee) and that really helps the taste. and for me the colder they are the more tolerable.

Onedaysoon
on 7/19/11 12:11 am - PA
I doing Bariatric Advantage as well .....yuck is right! I bought the huge bag of Vanilla because the nutritionist told me it was the  most versatile flavor. She suggested adding Hersheys Cocoa baking powder to make it chocolately. So far I have blended it with strawberries, banana, splenda and sugar free jello. None of them were ideal...but I can tolerate the blend of real strawberries and half a banana. Sorry I'm not much help!
~Carly~
~

SassyItalian
on 7/20/11 12:05 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Could_It_Be
on 7/19/11 12:59 am
 Why does your surgeon make you use BA brand? Is he getting kickbacks?? 

To me, I had to find one that I didn't hate (note I don't say like, just can stomach). If they have comparable nutritional stats, I don't see why you can't use another brand?

You might get some samples from the different brands and see what you like  (or at least don't hate). 

I loved the shakes before surgery, after, eew! You tastes might also change. 

Good luck!

VSG on 6/22/11
Cristina S.
on 7/19/11 3:47 am - New Britain, CT
I have no idea why he does that but he's been around for a long time and if that is happening then I guess he hasn't been caught yet lol.

SaminCT
on 7/19/11 1:09 am
I added a fourth of a container of sugar free pudding to my shakes and put it in a blender. It made it thicker and more tolerable.
VSG - 7/12/2011 with Dr. Gedeon and Dr. Oluwole, Bristol Hospital (CT)
Cristina S.
on 7/19/11 3:49 am - New Britain, CT
Sounds good Sam but I don't think that's allowed because it is not clear. Solid food is sounding really good right now. But I am going to just have to suck it up because I am not about to ruin this for myself.

hollykim
on 7/19/11 9:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
ok you bought the shakes he required. You tried them and you can't tolerate  them. He has gotten his kickback. If I was you I would find me some protein drink I can at least toleraate. Nutritionally speaking one protein shake is pretty much equal to another.

What good are the ones he has insisted on if you can't tolerate them?
GL,
Holly

sebbiesmomx3
on 7/19/11 5:56 am
I also cannot stand the protein shakes but I have so much money invested in them I have to use them.  Besides the fact that my health is at stake. So I reduced the amount of powder to 1/2 but still added the same amount of milk.  Then I added a full container of light yogurt in the same flavor as the powder (strawberry powder/strawberry yogurt).  Blend it up and it was much tastier than before.  The yougurt contains protein too so the total protein count is only a little lower than if you only used powder.  I have to drink a little more but it goes down a lot easier.  I make a couple at a time and refrigerate for a while because the colder they are the easier they go down. Hope this works for you.  I can't wait to toss these protein shakes!
Most Active