Scared to death and mixed up

peggyann5
on 7/23/11 5:02 am
I have been thru everything I need for what I thought would be the lap-band, but I have read so much and now am scared. I have been trying to find out more about the VSG , I don't really like the idea of my stomach being cut apart and taken out but it really sounds like it is a lot less problems and maintainace with the sleeve. Somebody please help me.

Ms Shell
on 7/23/11 5:06 am - Hawthorne, CA
All I can say is that the sleeve TRULY IS a lot less problems and maintenance and complications then the band.  And with the band as long as you have it the "possibility" of those problems will always be there.

When I chose the sleeve initially I thought of the what if I NEEDED my WHOLE stomach for some reason.  Then I read about people with stomach cancer and ulcers who have been removing part or all of the stomach since the 60s.

What is it about having part of your stomach removed that's bothering you?

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

mp2003
on 7/23/11 5:08 am, edited 7/22/11 6:47 pm
I was in the same boat!!! i wanted the band because i didn't want to cut up vital organs.. the more i read the more scared i got... but i decided on the sleeve not even a month ago... the band to me at least $300 a fill... erosion slipping and the port moving and needing to be surgically moved was not the option for me since i was self pay.. I just had surgery on Tuesday and I'm doing really well. not much pain just gas and your going to get that with the band as well.. its just restrictive not malabsorbtion. but with out the maintenance like the band.. but only you can decide whats right for you! good luck and just study on every option!!!
HW:264.4   6/22/11    SW:250   7/19/11    CW:238.8  8/24/11   1GW:202   

peggyann5
on 7/23/11 5:10 am
Thank you so much for taking time to reply.

Amy 2bhealthy
on 7/23/11 5:26 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I totally understand where you are coming from... I had band surgery almost 3 years ago. I don't necessarily regret it, but my opinion has changed about the band due to my experiences. I am most likely going to be revising to VSG from my band if all goes well...insurance, etc. Anytime I have told anyone about my plans to possibly revise, they all say, it is SO drastic, cutting out 85% of your stomach, but what people don't think about is how drastic  the complications of the band can be if they occur to you. Puking all the time, sliming when eating something your band doesn't like...the possibly of your band slipping (this is my case) so now I worry when I feel "off" has it slipped again or possibly eroded and could it be cutting off blood supply to my stomach. What happens if I am pregnant or on vacation somewhere and this happens... The band is so heavily advertised as being "reversible". Well guess what...reversible, leaving scar tissue that can cause damage and surgeons who won't do revisions because of the extra risks that the band leave behind. I just think the band is portrayed as this holy grail WLS and it isn't. It works GREAT for some people and I am happy for them, but for others, it does leave a list of issues, so just don't ignore that in your decision. Good luck, I know these decisions aren't easy.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Aelfwynn
on 7/23/11 6:05 am - Canada
On July 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM Pacific Time, blessedmama2010 wrote:
I totally understand where you are coming from... I had band surgery almost 3 years ago. I don't necessarily regret it, but my opinion has changed about the band due to my experiences. I am most likely going to be revising to VSG from my band if all goes well...insurance, etc. Anytime I have told anyone about my plans to possibly revise, they all say, it is SO drastic, cutting out 85% of your stomach, but what people don't think about is how drastic  the complications of the band can be if they occur to you. Puking all the time, sliming when eating something your band doesn't like...the possibly of your band slipping (this is my case) so now I worry when I feel "off" has it slipped again or possibly eroded and could it be cutting off blood supply to my stomach. What happens if I am pregnant or on vacation somewhere and this happens... The band is so heavily advertised as being "reversible". Well guess what...reversible, leaving scar tissue that can cause damage and surgeons who won't do revisions because of the extra risks that the band leave behind. I just think the band is portrayed as this holy grail WLS and it isn't. It works GREAT for some people and I am happy for them, but for others, it does leave a list of issues, so just don't ignore that in your decision. Good luck, I know these decisions aren't easy.
I've had a very similar experience. I'm getting a revision to VSG next month, and I'm very excited to have the restriction of the band without all the awful complications. I'd say read as much as you can; you'll find a lot of people revise from the band to the sleeve. I don't regret getting the band, but if I could have had the info then that's out there now, I probably would have chosen the sleeve.
felinemommy
on 7/23/11 5:42 am - NH
Only you can decide which procedure is right for you.  But you have good reason to be worried about the lap band!  Keep reading, there are so many stories like Amy's above!  Take your time, despite the desire to have WLS NOW, it is better to cut once!  Either way, it is a big decision that should not be taken lightly.

Good luck, if you take your time and keep researching, you will make the right decision.

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Hislady
on 7/23/11 6:10 am - Vancouver, WA
While I haven't had any of the nightmare stories some bandsters have, I have had problems with mine tightening to the point that I now am totally unfilled. So it's back to the pre-op dieting again. I would never choose the band again if given the choice. The sleeve has been done since the '40's I believe as a cancer surgery and as such has a much longer history than the band. Many people have lived long and healthy lives after their cancer surgery. If given the opportunity I would revise to a sleeve in a heart beat, but only you can make this decision. Keep reading and studying till you feel comfortable with your choice.
soulsister
on 7/23/11 6:26 am - NY
After having my band removed recently, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
Please don't take advice such as, "you can always revise". It's not fun to have surgeries.
kalio
on 7/23/11 8:04 am
 I too have had the lapband for over two years and it was fantastic for about 7 months.  Since then its been a nightmare.  I am revising to the sleeve on August 1st.  I too chose the band so as not to alter my insides.  Now I can't wait for August 1st!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views