Weigh or Guess

slimmingsammy
on 7/23/11 7:11 am
Okay yall,

I've been reading some of the posts about what people are eating and all are seemingly exact with portions.  Do yall use a food scale to measure portions?  I'm 18 days post-op and usually eat about 1/2 cup of shaved turkey or a slice of cheese for a meal.  Should I get a food scale to accurately measure my food?

Samantha

HW: 396 VSG: 7/5/11: 388 lbs.
Ariana_Rose
on 7/23/11 7:32 am - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with
I am in the second phase of recovery "mushies" and was 4 ounces by volume - 1/2 cup.
"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

Birdie55
on 7/23/11 7:35 am
I weigh chicken and cheese, and measure things like cottage cheese or yogurt in a measuring cup.
The reason I do it that way is that in order to log my food, the calories, etc are based on different forms of measurements.   It's easier to get the calories correct that way.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

acbbrown
on 7/23/11 8:40 am - Granada Hills, CA
I have a food scale and a lot of measuring cups. For me, I prefer to measure my portions because clearly I wasn't very good at it before surgery :-p

I've attempted "guessing" and then measuring after to check my skills, and I'm always off, usually I put more than I thought, and those calories can add up quickly.

I bought little dishes (mostly bowls) that hold about a cup of food, so if I'm in a hurry I will eyeball it, but since I use them for everything, I pretty much know how much I put in there. I recommend weighing/measuring/tracking for at least a few months until you get comfortable with portion sizes.  Just my thoughts though.

My food scale was like $15 and my measuring cup sets were maybe $5-10? Well worth it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 8:48 am
 I don't measure, I guesstimate.  For instance if I buy two steaks that are 1.5 pounds and are about the same size they're about .75 pounds or 12 ounces.  If I eat half of that I eat about 6 ounces, if I eat a quarter I eat 3 ounces...somewhere in between (which is my usual) I call it 4 or 5.

I don't think there's anything wrong with measuring/weighing, I just don't.  
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views