Too Many Choices for Protein - Help!

Jhb617
on 7/28/11 12:37 am - Livonia, MI
I am on my 3rd day of the liquid diet...surgery is on Wednesday.  I have been using SlimFast as my Protein Supplement since I can't make a decision of what to use.  My Costco doesn't seem to carry the Premier Protein :o(  Can anyone recommend a good Protein source for post-op? 
Running out of time and getting really nervous....Good news...I am down 12 lbs already!

Thanks much!!
michellemj
on 7/28/11 12:42 am
I asked this question a couple of days ago as I was searching for a new protein powder and got a lot of helpful responses.

Here's the link to that thread:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4429334/Searching-for-new-protein-powder

that being said, i have since tried the Unjury chocolate and really didn't care for it!

also, please note that tastes do change postop so something you like before surgery, you may not like post-surgery, so you may want to order a bunch of samples and try them after surgery to see what you like. Vitalady.com has tons of samples available! and don't worry about slimfast, it isn't appropriate post-surgery anyways!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Jessica Houston
on 7/28/11 12:47 am - Wichita, KS
I use the shakes from Bariatric Advantage, and yes my tastes did change after surgery!  They still taste okay, but I get this weird metallic taste in my mouth after drinking them! Also I tried to drink part of a frappe the other day (which before surgery I could have inhaled) and it was WAY too sweet!
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

SassyItalian
on 7/28/11 12:51 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
If you find some vanilla protein powder that isnt bad here is a recipe for one of my favorite shakes

:1/4 cup pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, you can find it in the baking aisle)
1 cup skim milk or soy milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/4 cup light cool whip
1 cup ice
2 single serve packets Splenda (or to your taste)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Throw in the magic bullet or blender and eat!

Jay robb vanilla protein isnt bad, you can request vanilla cake batter free sample shakes from Celebrate Vitamins which are good mixed with milk.

When you hit more of maintainence you can try Click shakes in Mocha or Vanilla Latte- it has caffeine and higher carbs so maybe its not so good during losing phase(as caffeine and higher carbs should be avoided) but I have a shake of theirs every morning- it replaces my morning coffee, its freaking delish but I use only 1 scoop powder with a cup of milk to get less carbs, throw it in the bullet with ice and blend and then pour over ice. its really yummy so its something thats easier to stick with.

good luck! congrats on the weight loss so far.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

julyxo84
on 7/28/11 12:58 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 omg sassy that sounds so good. reminds me of the pumpkin spice frappaccino starbucks has around the holidays. gotta try this!
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

Birdie55
on 7/28/11 12:52 am
This question is asked regularly.  If you scroll back you will see lots and lots of different answers. We all like different types of protein so there are tons and tons of answers.  Good luck finding one you like.  I like Syntax Chocolate truffle.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Frantom
on 7/28/11 6:28 am
Just read your post - agree with others that your taste buds are going to a HUGE change after surgery.
I suggest you try different ones - and don' take them more than a couple days - I was on them for a week or more and got sick of a bunch of them right away.  I was using Target brand vanilla whey powder before sugery but after it was too cloying.
I really like the chocolate Special K protein drink - although it's not as much protein as the ones with the whey powder.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views