someone please explain

megamommy
on 7/30/11 7:00 am
Im getting ready for my sleeve. Can someone please xplain why it is so hard to get in liquids at first? Is it the pain when its going down? Is it because you have to sip so slowly? I get dehydrated a lot anyway and I want to be prepared.
thanks!

ruggie
on 7/30/11 7:10 am - Sacramento, CA
After surgery, the stomach is extremely swollen. After the swelling decreases to normal, theres more space for food and liquids.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

wert
on 7/30/11 7:17 am - MN
Like ruggie said. You've just had most of your stomach amputated. You have a staple line the length of your sleeve. What's left of your stomach is raw and swollen. Not much will fit in your new teeny tiny tummy. You may feel thirsty at first - dry mouth - but I wasn't allowed anything by mouth at first until it was determined everything was OK inside. When you're cleared, sip ONLY. No drinking. No gulping. Sip..... 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

megamommy
on 7/30/11 7:17 am
so does it physically hurt to swallow
wert
on 7/30/11 7:28 am, edited 7/30/11 7:28 am - MN
Not for me. I was just instantly full. One sip and I was done. Waited a few minutes and had another sip. Repeat.

Now, you'll have physical pain. You know that, right? You'll have incisions. You'll have gas pain. Your tummy may hurt. You may have a sore throat because you've been intubated. You know all this, right? Right? No surprises. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Not2L8
on 7/30/11 7:31 am
Jackie00
on 7/30/11 7:53 am
Oh that is great to know, never thought of asking if it was because it was painful, I just assumed it was.  I been trying to sip sip for practice to see if I could do it and I have a 'heavy' swallow and thought I was not going to be able to do it for pain wise.  So glad to hear that it is just because the stomach won't allow that much in.  guess now i can stop trying to sip without that big swallow motion to get it down

BriarRose
on 7/30/11 8:08 am
Having read tons here, I knew to take tiny sips -- but they had me drinking bright blue apple juice for a leak test the next morning after surgery; before I could have anything else to drink. The nurse was telling me to hurry up and drink! I was thinking "are you nuts ?" After that, I learned that I could drink fairly normally -- slower, but no pain with drinking, just a very "different" feeling as you feel it going into your new tummy.

And because you are nervous about swallowing and the whole drinking/eating experience you are so much more aware of every new and different feeling. It was odd, but nothing really 'hurt'.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
lanunes
on 7/30/11 8:08 am - CA
 It only felt weird to swallow for the first week to week and a half. I can now take more sips more often. I never had any gas pains or pain from the surgery. I would describe what I felt was uncomfortable. The incisions feel tight but not painful. GOod luck!
      Leslie Nunes              
shihtzulvr
on 7/30/11 9:26 am
I think once you have the surgery you will be nervous about swallowing too much at a time and you automatically take sips of your drink. I had my sleeve on 7/18 and I haven't had much pain at all. I have only taken tylenol a couple times since I came home from the hospital. Good luck with your journey!!
Most Active