Emotions Popping up post surgery

Valerie S.
on 8/3/11 8:55 pm - CA
So after surgery I had so many different emotions popping up. First anger, my first week and a half after surgery I only wanted to talk or spend time with one friend and my aunt, whom I'm very close to. I didn't call or text Anyone else and didn't return any either. Then it turned to sadness and loneliness(probably after isolating myself) and all these feelings regarding my husbands affair and filing for divorce a year earlier started reappearing. I went back to work last week and with that all new emotions appearing. I will all of a sudden feel really really down or have this super uncomfortable feeling mentally and I get all squirmy.

I realize this has to do with not being able to stuff down my feelings with food and I think some discomfort surrounding the fact that some fat is melting away and I have less to hide behind. I just needed to share what I'm going through. Thanks for listening.

By the way, I need to update my ticker, I'm down 41lbs total now.

punkin1952
on 8/3/11 9:40 pm - AL
I've been going through a lot of sadness and anger, too, and miss drowning my sorrows with food,  and from what I've read I don't think it's uncommon.  Hang in there - I'm sure things will be better soon.  And by the way, 41 lbs. is wonderful - that should put you in a better mood.
Herbie55
on 8/3/11 10:08 pm - MI
The way I understand it, hormones are stored in fat cells and when we burn the fat the hormones are released back into our systems. That doesn't help the mental part of this journey, but knowing why we are so emotional sometimes makes it earier to deal with.
Lisa J.
on 8/3/11 11:20 pm - OK
But think back, after stuffing yourself with food to avoid emotional issues, did you REALLY feel better??? Didn't that just make you feel worse??? I was simply an overeater, and a boredom eater, never an emotional one so I am seriously asking these questions-- I don't know what that feels like. All I know is that you made a HUGE effort to make a HUGE change in your life! Some emotion is expected for sure. Every time you start feeling sad or emotional, just stuff your face in your water bottle.....and realize that although we say we "hid behind our fat".....darlin', we were all front and center with our fat, we just THOUGHT we were invisible.

AND WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO girlfriend, for already losing 41lbs! Anytime you feel like that's not very much weight, head on over to Walmart and hoist two bags of dog food around the store for an hour...see how much better THAT makes you feel!!!!!

Baby steps. SIP SIP SIP. WALK WALK WALK. Chin up, boobs out, strut your stuff.

You're working it and you don't see it yet!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
heatherdw
on 8/3/11 11:42 pm
I had my VSG done 4 weeks ago and have had similar things happening.  I've started getting those 'I'm bored, better eat' cravings and I find myself having really big mood swings.  I was so used to having food to comfort me and fat to blame for everything.

I spoke to my surgeon about it and he says it is a normal part of the post op process.  But if you start feeling too overwhelmed you may want to speak to your pcp or a therapist.
megant_nmborn
on 8/4/11 4:19 am - NM
 I am almost 4 weeks out and I can tell you that first 2 weeks I was Soooo emotinal. I was anxious, sad. horrified that I would never feel normal again and I was angry that I had to resort to having surger to get my self in shape.. I think all that is normal. I also think I was missing the food that I usto stuff myself with instead of dealing with any problems I had.. I am feeling much better  now. I am on my 6th day of Walking 2 miles every night and feel great.. I still do have some head hunger if I see someone eating something good and that kinda sux, but I know now I made the best decision of my life! Good Luck to you Im sure things will get better!
 [link=http://lilyslim.com][img noborder]http://swlm.lilyslim.com/S12rm6.png[/img][/link]                                
Most Active