A little frustrated here!

Sandy S.
on 8/12/11 8:40 am
OK I was feeling great - 101 pounds lost and swimming for exercise.  I though swimming would be easy on my joints, but now I have hurt my back and I am having pretty significant pain.  So I have stopped swimming, and I am trying to take it easy.  But, I really want to keep exercising- keep the momentum going. I though losing 100 pounds would help my back, but it is worse now than it has ever been.  Has anyone had something like this?

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
acbbrown
on 8/12/11 9:37 am - Granada Hills, CA
My body hurts now more than it did at 120 lbs ago. The only exception is my feet, but my back/knees/hips have more problems now than ever.

I think the solution is lots of strength training to strengthen our muscles - our bodies are all out of whack b/c of the weight loss. Don't be afraid of stalling/weight gain, etc - you  might slow for a bit but the more muscle mass you have, ultimately, the more you will be able to lose/maintain because of a higher metabolism.

For now, ice, rest, heat, and for temporary distractions with no benefit, throw on some icy hot (just dont be like me and put that crap  and then take a shower - i almost went to the ER lol)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Carlen T.
on 8/12/11 9:44 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I have significant damage to my lower back and water aerobics is what I do to keep in shape! GO BACK TO THE POOL! If you can't do everything, then slow down or modify, the pool is the best thing for you though. I've had a bad back for years, and it is the ONLY thing that significantly helps me in the way of exercising that isn't injuring to me in any way! Good Luck!

Carlen T        

Susan0714
on 8/12/11 11:33 am - Kenner, LA
Sandy I am so sorry to hear that you have having pain.. I have not experienced any pain since my weight loss.

I would like the last post said go back to the pool. If you are using a pool at a gym maybe you could ask someone what to do that might help, maybe walking slowly, but the water is going to help you.

I have a friend that all she did was water walking and the weight just fell off her. I was going to go and star****er walking a week again, and then I got the shingles..

I was cleared by my doctor today, so next week I will star****er walking.

I hope you feel better soon.  Take Care of your self.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

cattywompos
on 8/12/11 11:39 am
Actually, I sort of have.  When I hit the 60lb lost  mark by back started killing me!  I have never had back issues before and the only thing I could attribute it to was losing weight so quickly that it threw my back muscles into a tizzy.  A trip or two to the chiro helped me, but by the sounds of it need more.  I would say, do your best to continue the water exercise, even if you tone it down just a wee bit.  Water shouldn't put the strain on muscles like other exercise can do. Hope you feel better soon!
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

janeld
on 8/12/11 12:52 pm
I understand how you feel. I had plantar fasciitis going into surgery. My podiatrist and I both thought taking it easy after surgery would help my foot. Well, all was better until about 6 weeks after surgery my foot got worse. By 8 weeks out I was put in a boot and told to be non weight bearing. I was in the boot for 11 weeks! I was in SO much pain! And the burning was terrible! I finally found another dr. who listened to me (after several others wouldn't!). After several tests and sympathetic nerve blocks...I was diagnosed with CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). Basically your sympathetic nervous system goes haywire. Now I live in pain everyday..some are better than others. I can swim and I would like to try deep water aerobics (since the pounding on the bottom of the pool is too much for me). I do have to be careful about the temperature of the water. Now that I am on many medications that sort of help the pain...I might try a recumbant (sp?) bike. I also will be having a trial for a Spinal Cord Stimulator...and that will affect my exercise also.

Anyway, I totally understand the frustration. You aren't alone. Hang in there.
Janel
LovableLynn
on 8/12/11 2:50 pm - Qatar
The last few weeks I have also had an increase in back pain. The worst comes when I go to work and within less than an hour of sitting at my desk the pain starts. I was also told this is because of the shift of weight off the spinal cord and as I exercise more and re-strengthen my muscles it will be better.

Hope you feel better soon.

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

Mr Mom
on 8/13/11 12:36 am
Yes I have!
Over the years I have managed to acquire a bad left knee, bad right hip, and bad lower back all from carrying so much extra weight. Well as I lose weight I notice things shifting in my lower back and sometimes it can be quite painful. The DR says it's just my body adjusting to the shift in weight and changes in my posture now that I weight significantly less. The upside to this is that with a VSG we can still take Advil Liquid Gels on those days when stuff hurts!
Take care, get some rest, take some Advil, it should all start feeling better soon... Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

Sandy S.
on 8/13/11 4:15 am
thanks So does the pain get better in time?  I did not think I could take Advil, your sure it is okay with the sleeve?

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Mr Mom
on 8/13/11 2:10 pm
On August 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM Pacific Time, Sandy S. wrote:
thanks So does the pain get better in time?  I did not think I could take Advil, your sure it is okay with the sleeve?
Yes the shifting of the spine does get better on it's own with time. It's just a matter of things moving around and finding a new resting position now that your posture and the amount of weight your carrying has changed. I was told I could use Advil Liquid after about 6 weeks. Be sure and ask your surgeon's office when/if they are OK with you using Advil, how soon, & how many doses per day.
Hang in there it does get better!... Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

Most Active