12 days out.. need help!!

Jan G.
on 8/16/11 7:25 am - WI
OK I am now on full liquids. Had 3 days of vomiting in hosp and again first day at home=gastric juices? I think.
But I had no drain.

I am on Previced solu tabs. BUT it was not until I tried 1oz an hour of protein drink that finally that burning stopped.

Now I am struggling to get in enough fluids so try NOT to have the 3 "meals" to make room for water/protein. I am supposed to have 16 oz of protein milk drinks and the other hour water, or juices/popsicles.

I am sooo dehydrated during the night that I wake up every 2 hours, I cannot open my severely dry eyes or move my tongue.. OR..move my legs. Oh I also have a kidney malfunction which spills out potassium and MS. Some of this is those problems, but honestly think I am just lacking fluids. OK so I drink water for an hour then drink my protein milk drinks. But again the next 2 hours it happens again. Its improving but oh so little.

Now when I try anything, like crm of wheat, yogurt, everything leaves a taste like puke..is that GERD? I no longer have the pressure or pain if it. What is that taste then? AND my tongue is constantly coated with the soy protein.. could THAT be affecting my taste?

I just want to make sure I get hydrated..go****s taking so long.

Thanks for any help~ Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

koshermama
on 8/16/11 8:01 am
If I were you, I'd call my doctor right away and tell them what you typed above. They may have you go to the ER to get rehydrated.

"I cannot open my severely dry eyes or move my tongue.."

That sounds really serious!!

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
Jan G.
on 8/16/11 8:21 am - WI
Well yes it does sound serious but I am fine during the daytime. I have another autoimmune disease that causes severe dry eyes, mouth and dry ears. I take a pill for saliva. Thats why I get up every 2 hours to hydrate. I am improving..just slowly.

And what the heck is that horrible taste in my mouth? Could it just be the coating of the soy protein?

Jan

hollykim
on 8/16/11 1:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
the terrible taste in your mouth is from being in ketosis,a fat burning state. Keep drinking all you can drink,it will help.

SassyItalian
on 8/16/11 8:53 am, edited 8/15/11 8:54 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

your tongue is coated with thrush most likely thrush and you need to see the doctor for it, it happens sometimes post op

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Jan G.
on 8/16/11 9:09 am - WI
Well THAT's an idea. But it does not bother me. Its just hard to brush clean. I'll consider this though. But I know thrush is very painful..and this is not at all.

Thanks for your suggestion, Jan

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/16/11 9:13 am
I had the furry tongue, too and it passed by week 3 or so.  I think it's protein shake overload.

As for the dryness, I think it could be dehydration.  It's sooo easy to get dehydrated in the first few weeks.  Don't be afraid to go in and get some IV fluids.  Lots of us do it (I did at about 7 days post op).

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Jan G.
on 8/16/11 9:21 am - WI
OK this is NOT thrush as I can scrub and scrub and it does NOT hurt. And yes think its just a tough coating of soy protein..just wonder if THAT is affecting my  taste..makes sense that it is.

Yes I WAS about to call regarding need for hydration, thanks for that push, but its improving..oh..so.. slightly. My new little baby sleeve is just swollen still from all that vomiting. 4 days free so far NO vomiting.

Jan

mojomom
on 8/16/11 9:25 am
 Hi Hon,

Great suggestion to go to hospital to get rehydrated.  Maybe an iv bag or 2 will catch you up.

I'm being treated now for thrush.  A white coating on my tongue from yeast overgrowth from all of the antibiotics.  I had no pain with mine, so don't look for pain as being your best indicator.  If it won't brush off, chances are it's invading the tissues.

Definitely talk to your doc about these things.  Good luck.   

Mojomom

acbbrown
on 8/16/11 10:29 am - Granada Hills, CA
I went to the ER for fluids I think 5 days post-op and from then on, once all my symptoms of dehydration cleared up, it was smooth sailing. MUCH easier to get hydrated.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "3 meals" but if you are on full liquids, you shouldn't be having solid meals to work around. I sip on protein shakes and water at the same time (alternate sipping them over a couple hours - it keeps the acid away for the most part)

If you want to get hydrated without the ER, just glue a bottle of water to your hand, and a little measuring cup ( i used the little 30 cc ones from the hospital) and every couple minutes, drink one. It's hard, but dehydration is no joke.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active