Has your relationships changed with your close girlfriends?

yellomodelchick06
on 8/18/11 4:55 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I was just wondering if any of you ladies or guys have had issues with your best friends or close girlfriends? How do they react to your weight loss? I know sometimes people are used to you being the  "overweight girl" or they expect to get all the attention. Now that you have lost weight how do they treat you?I know once I get to goal, I am going to be too hot for tv, I dont  think they"re ready!LOL!! I just hope my increased health and quality of life doesnt cause any of my friends to start acting out!....Hopefully not..
C. Champion
on 8/18/11 5:04 am - Minneapolis, MN
Ijust had surgery on Monday so I dont know how things will be once the weight starts coming off but I know I have already had jealousy issues from my overweight friends. All of my skinny friends were very happy for me but all of my overweight friends were negative one way or the other and its cuz I was always the heaviest of the group. I just ignore their negativity cuz its their issues not mine.
cristalpoppin
on 8/18/11 5:11 am - Austin, TX
This is EXACTLY what i was going to say: skinny friends = positive & supportive, overweight friends = jealous & negative had multiple phone calls trying to convince me NOT to get the surgery, so
I started ignoring the phone calls ... NOW in a turn of events, 2 of my overweight friends have decided to get WLS surgery also! Now they are unbelievably supportive!
yellomodelchick06
on 8/18/11 5:08 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I hope those skinny friends stay just as supportive when you lose the weight, you are already pretty, soon you will be a force to be reckoned with. LOL!!!!!
I think in every circle of friends, everyone in the group has a role, whether its a good one or bad one, and when someone changes their role, it upsets people, because they are used to you being a certain way that will make them more comfortable. But things CHANGE!
chinasl45
on 8/18/11 5:35 am - Harrisburg, PA
All of my friends, heavy and skinny, have been suportive of me.....except 1 who was suppose to be my best friend. With her talking behind my back about me having surgery, it took things to the top. I no longer consider her to be a friend (deleted her from my facebook and all but she is my kid's godmother so.......) and she is no longer in my circle. My motto is, if you aint with me, you can be dropped off and kick rocks!
PSW 268 and Height is 5'10, SW was 241.6, GW is 170, CW is 160   

yellowbagbg
on 8/18/11 5:52 am - Flint, MI
I havent had any issues my friends and family have been very supportive even those who I thought would have been but Im only 2 months out and I hope that doesnt change because in my circle of friends I was always the heaviest and none of them are skinny so Im planning to supercede them with my weightloss! The thing is Ive never been skinny so I think its my turn to experience it and see what it feels like just in a reverse cycle! LMBO @China I like your Motto
thethinme
on 8/18/11 5:57 am - NY
I haven't told many people about my surgery, but the one fat friend I did tell seemed not super pro surgery, as well as my fat sister who immediately said "you are taking the easy way out" (really? which way out is SHE taking? none.)
my fat friend lives abroad and only saw me 6 months post-op. I noticed she was checking me out all the time when we went out with friends, lord knows what he was thinking but I think she was thinking about herself and what a difference it makes to be skinnier / normal... I hope she goes WLS some day as she doesn't look good at all and she needs to find a bf...

my skinnier friend who does have ups and downs with her weight was supportive, (she knows the nightmare to lose weight) but my skinny sister was not supportive at all in the beginning (she was afraid I would die on surgery or so) but became happy after she saw my transformation.

I think WLS does change completely how most people behave with us... even strangers treat you differently. it sucks but it's true.

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

chubbygirlinutah
on 8/18/11 6:17 am - Layton, UT
VSG on 02/10/12
 Interesting enough I was the friend that was going to have WLS years ago in Mexico and my best friend was against it.  Well the tables turned a bit and she went and got her sleeve because her sister in law had gone to Mexico and got one.  So now I am the third one to get it done.  We have been supportive of each other.  The biggest negativity that I have gotten is from family.  I just have not said a whole lot lately and keeping things on the down low.  

The way I figure it is if they are going to be negative about this and negative about me being heavy they will never be happy for me so their lose.  

Lisa J.
on 8/18/11 7:43 am, edited 8/18/11 7:43 am - OK
When people turn against you after you've lost weight, be they friend or family, they are purely showing their own insecurities. If you gained another 100lbs instead of losing, would they still be your friend? If you had to do dialysis, or had cancer? It's pretty funny really.

If you read enough on here you will eventually see the breakup, divorce, un-friend stories. If any relationship wasn't healthy enough to support a new, giant change, then it never 'was' and it has nothing really to do with YOU, it's THEIR problem.

Whether it be jealousy or envy, that for whatever reason they can't afford, don't have insurance, are too afraid to take that step, whatever, it's THEIR load to bear.

I hope you don't lose those you truly love, but expect that somebody along the way, even the current fat ones, might dis you--even if it's not to your face. Sure, people can be afraid of surgery--I (sorta) get that, but if you required emergency surgery (let's say cardiac) to save your life, wouldn't they support it or just let you die on the gurney because THEY were afraid?

I'm sick to FRIGGIN DEATH about anybody, especially FAT people, saying we "took the easy way out".....seriously? Like being super morbidly obese is easy? Like yo yo dieting is healthy? We already know it's nearly impossible to keep it off once we do lose it, the 'usual' way.

The truth is that people usually stay in the 'known' because it's safer than the 'unknown.'  The same reason why people don't get out of abusive relationships, workplaces; because it's safer than leaving even though it's clearly not working.

So to make this heroic decision to save our own lives, we get backstabbed by the very people we love and hope and expect will support us. Simply because they don't have the perceived strength it takes to make this decision.

It was a slam dunk easy one for me. I wanted surgery the day after I had my seminar. I never deviated from that desire. And I am OH SO GLAD I did it. Just wish I could have had this option about 30 years ago.

BTW, I can't keep a secret: I told EVERYBODY I was planning this and yes, heard quite a few of the stupid, uniformned arguments but mostly all my family, friends and coworkers were totally behind me. And I always use an opportunity to tell people about it who don't know me, when the timing is right.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Cristal231
on 8/18/11 7:52 am - MI

I can honestly say I stopped hanging with alot of my friends once I lost the weight- Prior to getting the VSG I had  lost 135 lbs the old school way just diet and excercise and got dwn to 165 lbs from being in the 300's all the friends I had as eating buddies were not interested in going to the gym or hanging out at parties, I began to intimidate them ,i had become the center of attention everywhere we went, so they actually stop excepting my invites or  they start saying things like "u getting to skinny". But on the flip side i regained  some of the weight back and sure enough the same ole fat friends i had have started to call me again, interested in what I'm doing , wanting to hang out . Yeah right I'm playing them to the left b/c i already know the game I have about 70 lbs to go before I'm back to my weight so they can kiss my A** b/c I will soon be back shining and if you could not support me through the entire process then left hanging you will be, So my advise beware of Jealous friends and don't let it bother u girl enjoy your success and do u.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views