Dry, flaking lips?

LittleMissSunshine
on 8/19/11 8:21 am
Has anyone else run into this issue?  I'm wondering if it's some sort of diet deficiency... I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I've tried Blistex, Carmex and several others -- while it makes it feel better in the short term, nothing's helping it resolve.

Any advice?

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

julyxo84
on 8/19/11 8:45 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
I have it. i was told its from not getting enough fluids in.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 8:45 am
No ideas on what could cause this besides dehydration.. but FYI, Carmex and the like with menthol & camphor will generally only make it worse over time. Try something more neutral like Aveeno's lip stuff (don't know the name.) My personal fav, though it is $$ - Lipfusion. I love it, super hydrating.
Songcatcher
on 8/19/11 9:08 am, edited 8/19/11 9:09 am
I use "Lip Toxyl X3" revolumizing lipcare which is basically a lip plumper but it clears my lips right up only it is pricey. 

Hope all is going well for you, haven't heard from you in awhile.  I may have a date of 21 November for my surgery but not set in stone yet.  Hope all is well with you,  Jackie

ChangingNow
on 8/19/11 9:46 am - OH
I believe that in addition to the menthol Jo mentioned, both Blistex and Carmex are petroleum-based products.  I don't like putting petroleum products on my skin.  They will only hold moisture in, but will not add moisture.  So they don't help for very long.

I like Burt's Bees lip balms.

VSG on 05/03/2011, SW 255, CW 140, 5'6" female
Body by Sauceda on 11/30/2012, LBL, BL/BA, long thighs, arms, neck

krystals
on 8/19/11 9:51 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
Yes it is from low liquids, drink more fluids and that should clean up the problem. I had this problem for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. I used softlips it seemed to help. Also it seemed like the dryness was worse after I had a protein drink. Good luck
svelteNgorgeous
on 8/19/11 12:06 pm
I always have a tube of Burt's Bees in my pocket.

Works great, try it.

http://bit.ly/q4t6tP

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

LittleMissSunshine
on 8/19/11 5:48 pm
Thanks, all.  Burt's Bees was actually the first one I tried when it started.  After a few days, the top layer of skin started to shed and it got painful, it stung every time I put it on.  I switched to the Blistex ointment (the white cream not petroleum based) and that seemed to help, but isn't not resolving it.  My lips are still sore, raw and dead skin still keeps sloughing off.

I'll try upping my water intake and will make sure to be more vigilant on my vitamins in case that has something to do with it.  If it doesn't clear up soon, I'll call my PCP.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views