3 weeks post op!

Jhb617
on 8/23/11 1:48 am - Livonia, MI
Hi all!  I haven't been on since surgery - I have had a really smooth recovery.  Surgery went really well and recovery has been smooth.  I went back to work yesterday and aside from being tired I am feeling pretty good.  I am a little worried about the weight loss so far....I am only down 12 lbs so far.  Is that too low?  I don't want to start obsessing about the scale.  I can start to feel the loss in some of my clothes and I am already starting to feel better, but I always had that worry that I would be the one to fail.....

Freakin out in MI

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

MammaQ
on 8/23/11 2:08 am - TX
Hi there, I had surgery on 8/5 and have been stuck at 12.5 lbs lost  until this morning, and scale has me down to 15 lbs total now. I go back to work tomorrow!  My motto -- take one day at a time!
Mamma Q    
HW: 274  SW: 270.5  CW: 255    
Jhb617
on 8/23/11 3:03 am - Livonia, MI
Congrats on your surgery!  Take it easy going back to work tomorrow!  You'll be tired, so take it slow and easy!!

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

Jan G.
on 8/23/11 2:08 am - WI
Glad your surgery and recovery has been uneventful and going well...YEAH!!

I would not obsess about the amt..but that you are losing (yeah) and probably losing inches too.

Are you following your surgeon's/dietician's schedule?
If you are, then do not worry...it WILL come off..it will !!

Best to you~ Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

Lisa J.
on 8/23/11 2:09 am - OK
CONGRATS that you've sailed through what could have been the hardest part! 

You don't say if you were a lightweight before surgery, but 12lbs is nothing to scoff at, right? Some people have a low pain threshold and have some issues about recovering but sounds like you (and me!) like it was no biggie to you. I know I had accidentally hurt myself WAY more than the uncomfortableness I felt after surgery. I never did pain meds in hospital or home, just anti-inflammatory IV. Had surgery on Weds, back to work on Monday. Glutton? Perhaps ;-)  Really was fine, a little slow but fine.

So I have to ask; are you getting in all your water at this point? What stage food are you in? Mushies at 3 weeks? I hate to tell you that you'll probably stall at about 30 days out, give or take, so be prepared for that. I can truthfully say I have a new addiction: the scale. But for me, that's not harmful. Keeps me focused.  For a person who had avoided it all costs, it's a gift to me.

Water is your biggest friend right now and you should be trying to get in 80-100z a day. That is REALLY HARD when you add protein.....and the water is way more important at this point. I hope you're staying away from carbs and not being seduced by them. Getting off that merry-go-round is THE hardest habit to break, and once you do, you'll come out of the 'fog'. The carb fog. That little monster that is NEVER satisfied and only makes your body want more and more to the never ending battle of weight gain.

Keep doing what you're doing right, keep drinking 24/7, try to get in all that protein (but if you can't you can't) and know that it gets better each and every day, and eventually you'll be losing weight like you've got a disease (it's a great disease!!) and people will start noticing, you'll have to go shopping (oh rats!) and take pride in actually trying on clothes and admiring (in complete disbelief) that you actually CAN wear smaller and smaller clothes....and when the realization hits you that you don't automatically head for the fat ladies' section...you're winning this battle!! AND IT FEELS AMAZING.
Soak it up. Enjoy every minute. And if you haven't measured yourself, please do, because when you don't see that scale needle move when you're in a stall (and they can seem like forever) you will see that your body is STILL changing shape, and then you'll start losing again. Don't despair. We've all gone through it and at the time it seems like we've failed once again....FEAR NOT...it's your body getting used to a giant shock and you'll be fine!

CONGRATULATIONS! Keep up the great work!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Jhb617
on 8/23/11 3:00 am - Livonia, MI
I am really trying to get in all my water, but it's so HARD!  I am trying to stay away from the carbs.  I am at the mushie stage now.  Still doing some soup, small curd cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and of course protein shakes.  I am trying to get more protein in with the nectar that you add to water so I can kill two birds with one stone. 

Thanks for the advice and support!!

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

Lynnww666
on 8/23/11 2:46 am - Canada
Please don't freak out... from what I understand from this site, all is good, everyone loses in their own time, sometimes fast, sometimes slower. But as long as you stay on program, it will come off.
I'm nearly 4 weeks out, had lost 15, gained two (?!?!?!) now those two are gone but here I sit still at 15. Tempted to panic too but read lots of posts from the veterans about pauses and right now I'm just focusing on sticking to the program, getting in lots of protein and water and I believe it will start to drop off again soon.
But you are feeling better, have clearly lost some inches so keep the faith and I'm sure we will both soon been amazed at how much weight has gone.
Hang in there!
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

Jhb617
on 8/23/11 3:05 am - Livonia, MI
Congrats on your surgery Lynn!  Clearly we are both headed in the right direction!

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

Faye56
on 8/23/11 7:43 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
At about 2.5 weeks I stalled and did not lose anything for 2 weeks. I am losing again about a pound a day (for now). I am sure that will change but I am loving it while it last. I think 12 lbs is a good loss. When have you ever lost that much in such a short time before? It will come off. I was afraid I would be the one it did not work on also...but it is working! Hang in there and just follow the program.
Oh yea, I was self pay, so I did not get my own Nut like most people do but I have learned on here to keep your carbs at 40gm or below per day. Also keep calories at 600-800 per day while losing. I started losing again when I started watching that. I log everything in to Myfitnesspal.com. It is very easy and opened my eyes to a lot of things. I don't know if that jump strated it but it certainly cannot hurt. 
Keep up the good work and Congrats on your sleeve.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Most Active