Mindfulness

Barbara C.
on 8/29/11 4:37 am - Raleigh, NC

I have found that being 'mindful' has proven to be a powerful tool too help me take care of myself. It requires me to be focused and present. It also helps me be aware and accountable. I am not always as 'mindful' as I'd like to be, but more so now than I was before I had my WLS. 

To me, being 'mindful' means that I am aware of what I'm doing and accountable to myself for my actions. Everyone needs to find their own ways of doing this, but I think that we all need to do this in order to be successful in the long term.

*  Being mindful mean I get on the scale daily so that I am aware of my weight and am able to make corrections when they are still minor.
*  Being mindful means logging my intake and activity if I notice that my scales are 'swinging' more than the 7 lb range that seems normal for my body -- basically, up or down 3 lbs from my 'sweet spot'.
*  Being mindful means thinking about what I'm eating and if it is something that 'fuels' my body.
*  Being mindful means leveraging my tool and 'taking care of business first', so that I start my meal with protein, move on to colorful carbs and then indulge in whatever else I want with whatever room I have left over.
*  Being mindful means being aware of how I'm 'feeling' when I'm eating

What does being mindful mean to you?

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

tripmom02
on 8/29/11 4:42 am - NJ
 I need a "like" button! Good post! It's only when I let other things distract me from taking care of myself that I tend to put on weight, so I make it a priority to keep on top of these things so I don't fall down that slippery slope (and with four small children, that is EASY to do!). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 5:50 am
Being mindful in the way that you have described it, has become my maintenance strategy these last few months.  It has worked remarkably well.  To me it means all the things you have mentioned, but also an additional level of thoughtful appreciation for the food that is on my plate.  I now take the time to really look at and think about my food while feeling great appreciation to how it got here and what it will add to my body.  I never thought this last piece would prove so very valuable for my maintenance, but it seems to be the linchpin to the whole thing for me.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views