Give me your ready to drink protein recommendations!

ahleeeshah
on 8/29/11 4:51 am
Ever since surgery I have had at least one Premier Protein chocolate shake from Costco every day. I found it because of you guys, and it has been a lifesaver for the past four months.

Unfortunately, their formula has gone all kinds of wonky. First it got far too thick, almost like pudding in the carton, and now they've overcompensated so it's too thin, almost like water. I'm on a mission now to find another ready to drink protein and thus far I've come up with nothing. I've tried Pure Protein chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and cookies and cream. I've tried two other brands whose names I can't remember but had 51 grams per bottle and 48 grams per bottle, I think.

Are there any RTD shakes that taste like Premier Protein?

cannonkb
on 8/29/11 5:04 am - SC
 My favorite RTD protein pre-surgery was Oh Yeah Protein shakes.  They come in Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, Cookies and Cream, and Banana I think.  They come in a 8 oz and 12 oz size. Can't remember the protein counts but they were a little higher calorie than my Dr.'s office likes post-surgery.  Now I use powder and usually use either Body Fortress from Walmart or Matrix from Vitamin Shoppe. Hope this helps!

tripmom02
on 8/29/11 5:08 am - NJ
 I like Lean Body Vanilla Ice Cream, it actually tastes pretty good (although it is a little sweet). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

PluggingAlong
on 8/29/11 5:18 am
 I never hear them mentioned on here but I LOVED the Atkins ready to drink shakes. They are made with sucralose so low carb and they taste great. Even my kids would drink them. They have flavors like mocha and cappuccino and the standards - chocolate (dark and milk), vanilla and strawberry.

Consult Weight-323 / SW- 312 / CW-173/ GW-155
Starting BMI: 65.2 Current BMI: 34.9

felicity2u
on 8/29/11 5:22 am - LA
Like one of the above post, I live by the Oh Yeah protein shakes at GNC.  I love the vanilla and the strawberry.  They are a little expensive but well worth it! The vanilla reminds me of a wedding cake taste. Yummy!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

denise277
on 8/29/11 5:43 am - carteret, NJ
I LOVE ATKINS chocolate it taste great
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/11 6:00 am - VA
I love the new whey protein shots. (blue rasberry is my fav). 42g of protein in one shot. i mix half in with pink lemonade crystal light twice a day! YUMMY! i get them from amazon for half price.  12 shots for a round 26 bucks!
emelar
on 8/29/11 6:55 am - TX
Every time I see someone mention that they're getting their protein from shots or bullets, I shudder.  Here's my full-length shot/bullet rant:

You know that old adage about "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"... well, that is the case with these. 

You are wasting your money and are endangering your health (including your hair) if you are relying on these as a source of protein.  If you look at the ingredients you will see that they are made primarily from collagen protein.  Not only is this a significantly inferior form of protein to begin with (compared to whey or whey isolate), but -- more importantly --  they do not have the necessary amino acids to enable your body to absorb even the crappy protein that they do have.  The PDCAAS scoreis used to rate the bioavailablity of protein (how well your body can absorb it).  For whey protein, milk, and eggs the score is a perfect 100.  For these shots it is LESS THAN ONE (.08 according to the manufacturer of the Body Fortress brand)!  So, if you are thinking that they are "better than nothing", they aren't... they ARE nothing!  You will get far more protein from a plain glass of milk or the Special K protein waters that have only 4 or 5 grams of protein!

If your dietican "recommended" them, either your dietician is not aware that they do not have all the necessary amino acids to make it a complete protein or your dietician is not aware of the role that the amino acids play in making a complete protein."

I know your brand is called New Whey, but the ingredients that look something like this:  “Proprietary Protein Blend (Hydrolyzed Collagenic Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Casein Protein Isolate)"

The first protein ingredient - which means it's the ingredient it contains the most of - is collagen.  So, even though they've put some whey and casein in it, it's MOSTLY collagen.  Will you get some protein from it?  Sure - whatever percentage of it is whey and casein.  But you don't know whether the whey and casein is 1% of the total protein content or 50% or what.  And, any way you cut it, you're not getting the full protein that they advertise.  You'd have to drink 4 or 5 or 6 or more of them to get that much bioavailable protein (protein that your body can use).  Just not worth the money, and not what it's hyped to be.

Krazydoglady
on 8/29/11 6:16 am - FL
I drink Protein H20 by Muscle Milk.  It's 60 Calories and has 10g of protein for 16 ounces.  It also has 5 grams of fiber along with potassium and calcium.  It's a 'Gatorade' style drink  with electrolytes which has protein instead of sugar.  I drink a couple a day, generally.  I don't like the 'shake' kinds, and many drinks are way to sweet for me. This one is just right :) 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Frantom
on 8/29/11 6:19 am
I too am looking still for something I can like after using if for a while - I seem to get sick of things much faster after surgery.
But I gotta tell you - I just LOVE the Special K protein shake - chocolate.  It's just delicious!  I keep it in the fridge and pour it over a few ice cubes - it just tastes like a thick, creamy shake that the ice cream has all melted and it's just rich milk.
I really think you will like it!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views