HYPOGLYCEMIC EPISODE

deedrarn1
on 8/31/11 6:03 am - AL
Greetings,

I had a VSG on December 6, 2010.  I have lost 70 pounds!! This morning while at work I became shaky, jittery and clammy.  I knew something wasn't right.  I asked my coworker who is also a nurse to check my blood sugar.  It was 46!!! I had some cheerios, skim milk and a couple of bites of a banana for breakfast.  It was really scary as I felt I was going to pass out.  I was thankful to be at work around others.  This has never happened to me before. Has this happened to any one? Any ideas why?
deedrarn1
on 8/31/11 6:05 am - AL
This blood sugar reading occurred approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating breakfast.
emelar
on 8/31/11 6:06 am - TX
My guess is too much sugar at breakfast.  Cheerios and banana.  Where's your protein, girl!  Sugar makes the body produce insulin.  Body produces more insulin than it can handle.  Blood sugar crashes and so do you. 
deedrarn1
on 8/31/11 6:10 am - AL
Wow,

Plain cheerios and skim milk and ofcourse I couldn't eat them all.  I didn't think that was bad.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 6:07 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Yike!  that had to be scary!

"cheerios, skim milk and a couple of bites of a banana for breakfast"

I would bet a zillion five dolla that your breakfast was why.  Roux-en-Y folks will even tell you that they could maybe eat cereal alone, but the milk and banana kills them.  And while I realize you might have had this breakfast before with no consequences, watching your intake and blood sugar patterns might be the thing to do now!

Sorry for your scare!!
dguenat123
on 8/31/11 6:37 am - Belton, TX
VSG on 12/21/10 with

I have been hypoglycemic my entire life. Protein, protein, protein especially first thing in the am.

Live, Love and Laugh!    
deedrarn1
on 8/31/11 6:45 am - AL
Thanks!!
Lesson learned!!
dguenat123
on 8/31/11 8:28 am - Belton, TX
VSG on 12/21/10 with
Mine has actually gotten much better since surgery as long as I remember to eat and eat my protein. I carry beef jerky, slim jim sticks and peanut butter around with me. If I am in a meeting that goes thru lunch I sneak out and down it, keep a chilled rtd protein drink at work and home.  When I first had surgery I had to drink apple juice first thing in the am and have had to get juice twice in eight months. Apple juice brings it right up if I happen to have it drop too low. Seriously, since surgery as long as I eat protein regularly throughout the day I am better than before. I don't like breakfast and it makes me sick to think of eating so I only eat a string cheese but it does get me 8 grams of protein until I can eat. I sure hope you find what works for you.
Live, Love and Laugh!    
maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 8/31/11 8:41 am
I occasionally had problems with hypoglycemia before surgery, but since surgery it got worse--especially in the first few months post op... it was like I would be fine and then a few minutes later it would be like... I need to eat, RIGHT NOW, or I am going to pass out.  My doctor thought it was due to decreased intake then, but now that I am 5 months out, I agree with everyone else about the protein.  On days that I have a more carb based breakfast (oatmeal or cereal), I have hypoglycemia problems.  Generally, I have lately stuck to a protein drink for breakfast and then eat "breakfast" somewhere around 9:30 or 10 am at work.  My doctor recommended eating 5 small meals a day to keep my blood sugar level.  Most days, I don't eat anything but protein and veggies before lunch and I seem to do pretty well then.  I have found on days that I have any sort of carbs (even the good ones from fruit and whole grains)  in the morning, I have hypoglycemia problems and I am hungrier later in the day.  I usually also eat something carb based a few hours before bed time, generally fruit or a whole wheat cracker with peanutbutter (my indulgence) so I don't wake up hypoglycemic.... which I have many times before. 
And, the funniest thing that really gets me about this whole thing is that I am not diabetic, never was... something that baffles me....lol.
Hope my ramblings were helpful!

injeneral
on 8/31/11 9:57 am
I'm not the OP but your comment was helpful to me! :) 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Most Active