MIGRAINES!!

nomorebadonkydonk
on 9/2/11 4:19 pm
I'm hoping for some advice on what I can take for migraines. I've always been able to take motrin 800 for them or vicodin 500 cut in half. Now that I can't take them with my new tummy, I have no idea what my options are..I can't take imitrex etc. because I take celexa...HELP!

Admitting you need surgery,is not admitting failure...it is actually a step towards success.....:)        
cvs0763639
on 9/2/11 8:46 pm - north fort myers, FL
i work in the pharmacy and a few sleevers use imatrix. you need a rx but it does come as a disolvable tablet.  call your insurance co to see if they pay for this or if you need a prior authroization from your md.  if you need a prior authorization tell your doctor when you get the rx. 
michellemj
on 9/2/11 10:24 pm
One of the advantages of the sleeve is that we can still take NSAIDS...so that motrin is just fine. Just make sure you take it with some food to protect your stomach. And try a lower dose at first as that may offer the relief you need esp. since you haven't been taking it.

How often do you get migraines? Maybe you need to be on a long-term preventative med since you can't rely on one of the more common abortives given your likelihood for serotonin syndrome (which is SO awful...it happens to me when I take imitrex and I'm not on an SSRI. I can avoid it if I take Relpax).

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

windyacres
on 9/3/11 2:05 pm - Garner, NC
 Can you describe your experience with serotonin syndrome?  I am at risk for this with the meds I take.  My doctor said something abou****ching out for involuntary movements.

Edie
Approved 8-1-11, Surgery 8-22-11  SW 231, Goal 140, CW 165

michellemj
on 9/4/11 3:56 am
There's a wide range of symptoms and for me, mine are autonomic and mostly mild. I suffer from increased heart rate, sweating, flushing, nausea and Imitrex seems to affect me the most. I'm not on any other med that puts me at a higher risk, but 2 meds in combo is really dangerous (so SSRIs or MAOIs with triptans would be really bad).

But from what I understand, there can be more moderate and severe symptoms that can include muscle twitching, seizure, tremor. It just depends on how you manifest the symptoms.

nomorebadonkydonk
on 9/6/11 6:57 am
On September 3, 2011 at 5:24 AM Pacific Time, michellemj wrote:
One of the advantages of the sleeve is that we can still take NSAIDS...so that motrin is just fine. Just make sure you take it with some food to protect your stomach. And try a lower dose at first as that may offer the relief you need esp. since you haven't been taking it.

How often do you get migraines? Maybe you need to be on a long-term preventative med since you can't rely on one of the more common abortives given your likelihood for serotonin syndrome (which is SO awful...it happens to me when I take imitrex and I'm not on an SSRI. I can avoid it if I take Relpax).

Can you give me any info on preventative for migraines...I haven't heard of this...THX!

Admitting you need surgery,is not admitting failure...it is actually a step towards success.....:)        
michellemj
on 9/6/11 7:03 am
Have you seen a neurologist? That's the best source...and they can help diagnose the migraines and recommend the best meds.

But I can speak from personal experience. Some get relief with a daily beta blocker or calcium channel blocker. Or a mild antidepressant (amitriptyline is most common). Alternatively, anti-seizure meds are used as preventatives; Topamax is by far the most common.

All of these, of course, have their own side effects. Topamax has some cognitive side effects (I suffer from word finding issues and other forgetfulness on occasion) but it has lessened my migraines.

and most recently, I'm using Botox and it seems to be my miracle cure. It lasts about 8-9 weeks for me and basically eliminates all of my migraines during that time period. For someone that was a daily migraine sufferer, I'm elated.

jmart76
on 9/3/11 9:24 am
 I take Maxalt which dissolves under the tongue. I just started getting botox injections also since I get chronic migraines and it works very well. It's taken away most of my migrains. Hope that helps. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views