Rogaine???

lisa53406
on 9/7/11 9:16 pm - Racine, WI
Ok, I am losing my hair. My hair was already thin. Now I have bald spots and I comb over but I am not sure how long I can do this.

I am pretty good at getting my protein in but I am working on increasing it, just in case.

If there is anyone out there that has gone through this what did you do? Wig? Rogaine? Does Rogaine work for this?

Any info is helpful. Thanks!

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
USAF Wife
on 9/7/11 10:05 pm
I've never seen anyone on here report anything positive with Rogaine. From what I've read over the years, Rogaine is very drying, and causes more issues with the remaining fragile hair.Unfortunately, the protein isn't going to stop it either. Nothing really will, it's just part of the process. Here is an interesting tidbit that explains the process.

The regrowth stage will start, and you can take biotin or other hair/nail/skin supplements. Zinc and other mineral levels (which can go down dramatically after surgery) can contribute to hair loss and slow regrowth. Make sure you are taking a high quality multi vitamin to ensure your body is getting the essential minerals/vitamins needed to sustain itself especially through the restricted calorie/food intake time.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4347455/Hair-Loss-in-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Patients/
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/7/11 10:16 pm
I go through bouts of hairloss that are random and I lose all the hair in quarter-size patches.  It happens once or twice every 5 years or so.  Last year when I had one, I used Rogaine.  I feel like it shortened the amount of time the bald patch was there before hair re-growth started.  I didn't treat my whole head, just the bald patch.

I also take primrose oil for a different reason and have noticed my hair grows fast while I'm on it.  Not sure if it will help you or not, but worth considering.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

OldMedic
on 9/7/11 11:23 pm - Alvaton, KY
Rogaine will not help with this at all.

It is just a part of rapid weight loss.  Your hair WILL come back.  Relax, and don't panic, this happens to almost all of us.  I had it coming out by the handfulls, and yes it worried me.  But now, I have just as much as I did before surgery.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

MargeAD
on 9/7/11 11:29 pm - CA
I also understand that taking Biotin can help prevent hair loss.  Talk to you nutritionist.
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 4:14 am
I have been on Men's Rogaine foam (the liquid is very irritating to the scalp, the foam isn't) for years due to "female pattern hair loss".. my previous weight losses made the already existing issue worse.. I'm still using it 2x a day with no ill effects to my scalp or hair, but I still hit the shed at 3mo out..

Sorry, I don't know if the shed would be worse if I wasn't using it.. it's not terrible now, not nearly as bad as it was last time I lost a lot fast.. but last time I did this I was no****ching my protein or vites (I was young and dumb..) So I cannot attribute anything to the Rogaine specifically.

It's not cheap, but if you do try it- only try the foam, and forget the "women's Rogaine" all the derms & endos I've seen over the years said it is not enough to do anything.. Rogaine takes about 3mo to fully start producing results and can induce a minor shed before working (not something you'd likely want) and you will never know if your hair would have started re-growing at that point anyway due the the timing of it all.

If your hair is thin already, it may be worth looking into as a life-long tx though. Mine is, and I will always have to use it to keep what I have.. Several women in my fam are basically bald by 50. I have also been on meds to help stop or reverse the loss, and they were no more effective than the Rogaine, and the side effects (hormonal) were not worth it.. so Rogaine it is.

I have also been taking 5000mcg of biotin for several years. Not much if any effect on my hair, but it does work wonders if you have thin nails. I also take evening primrose oil and omega 3 every day.. again, nothing noted with the hair.. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views