Confused about Ketosis

Jhb617
on 9/16/11 5:19 am - Livonia, MI
Ok, I think I've read 30 different posts about ketosis and I am totally confused!  Is it a good thing or bad thing and should we be in it for the first few months of losing.  I am only 6 weeks out and have lost 37 lbs (some pre-op) and if there is something I should be doing to lose more, I definately want to know!

Thanks all!

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

blakereimert
on 9/16/11 5:27 am - TX
I am about  months out and I have been in ketosis the whole time. I plan to stay in ketosis throughout the losing phase. Opinions differ about the safety of prolonged ketosis, but what I do know is that as long as I am in ketosis, I am staying within my desired carb intake range. When you body is in ketosis, it is burning fat for fuel instead of carbs/sugar. When you significantly reduce your carb intake to say, less thank , your body will throw off ketones.

From an on line source:

Isn't being in ketosis dangerous? I heard it was not normal.

Ketosis is a normal condition. Almost everyone's body goes into a state of ketosis during the night when they sleep. It is the natural process that occurs when your body breaks down its stores of fat and uses the by-products for energy. A ketogenic diet is one in which you consume such a low amount of carbohydrates that your body is in a state of ketosis all the time. Although some authorities have suggested that prolonged ketosis may result in weakend bone tissue in time, there is no scientific evidence of this. Our cave-dwelling ancestors were in ketosis most of the time, since they did not eat any processed carbs.

Blake

Jhb617
on 9/16/11 5:30 am - Livonia, MI
So in order to get your body into Ketosis, you have to take in a very small amount of carbs?  Is that all that's required?

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

blakereimert
on 9/16/11 5:56 am - TX
That is correct, no sugar and less than 20 carbs a day (and the carbs should come from vegtables. IF you eat your lean protein first then low carb veggies (avoid corn, potatoes, starchy vegtables) then you will have no room for carbs. You can get Ketostix at the drug store. You can check your urine with the strip and it will tell you if you are in ketosis or not.

stacezoe
on 9/16/11 5:59 am
Yup thats about it. You can buy Ketostix at most pharmacy's or walmart (cheaper at walmart) and you pee on the little stick and if it turns anywhere from pink to marroon  your in ketosis. I definitely have found from my experience with Atkins that the darker the stick the better the weight loss. I'm too early out to comment on ketosis and VSG, but I have stayed in Ketosis since surgery and plan on staying in it til goal.
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
Jhb617
on 9/16/11 6:04 am - Livonia, MI
Thank you for the clarification!

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views