Post Surgery Diet Help

Brighteyes36
on 9/16/11 4:40 pm
I am really starting to feel stupid.
I guess I should of had these questions answered prior to the surgery and am feeling a little stupid for not knowing.  I was sleeved on 9/13

1. I know I should be on liquids for the first 2 weeks, per MD instructions.  He told me not to worry about getting protein in for the first couple day, but to concentrate on the liquids to stay hydrated.  When drinking proteins are these suppose to be clear also?  I had never heard this, but saw this posted somewhere while browsing the pages.

2.  Is it only clear liquids or can we have soups?  My friend made me some yellow squash soup, and now I am thinking I shouldnt be eating it. 

Not to make excuses or anything, but I thought since the protein drinks were not clear it would be ok to have the soup.  Now I am worried I am just screwing myself off. 

Thanks for any advice

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 4:46 pm - Southeast, TX
I was cleared for a full liquid diet as soon as I left the hospital. I drink soups, protein shakes, have SF Jello and popsicles. I have lost 19 lbs since my surgery on the 7th. I start mushy foods on Wednesday.
Good luck to you!

CoolBeans
on 9/16/11 5:16 pm, edited 9/16/11 5:16 pm - MD
 You didn't get instructions from your Nutritionist? The guidelines do vary and it you have nutritionists on your team I would call them or email them right away to make sure you are not left confused. I know my Nut is available by email. 

I was cleared to have anything I could drink through a straw when I left the hospital. Your squash soup would qualify as this if there are absolutely no chunks. But be careful, some of those soups can be full of "sugar" and not really help with your protein. I did a lot of broth with protein powder (unflavored or chicken soup flavored) for the first week. I was also allowed to have yogurt smoothies with protien powder and things like that. Again think something that will go through a straw. The only exception to that was that I could have SF Jello, Pudding and popciles. Not straw consistency, but still safe. 

Here is a partial list from my Nut:

Yogurt (Activia light, fage greek)
Milk 
Sugar Free Pudding
Pureed Low Fat Soups
Cambells cream soups (with chunks strained out)

My list also allowed cream of wheat and grits prepared very runny. But this is controversial and I would be sure your list includes it if you are going to try. Frankly, they are full of carbs and so unless you pack them with enough protein should not be staples of your diet at this point. 
 Cari    
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 6:07 pm - Southeast, TX
http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Sleeve-Patient-Manual.pdf

This guide has been very helpful to me and to many others in regards to phases of post op diet and what is/is not allowed.
Rouxful
on 9/16/11 8:11 pm
 I was on jello, broth, juice, and tea two days post op in the hospital, then after that some runny oatmeal and a couple spoonfuls of mashed beans, as well as some watery mashed potatoes. Drinkable yougurt was how I got my protein, just stay away from the brands with added sugar, as that's the last thing you need. I also picked up a case of those Premier Nutrition shakes that keep popping up in the upper right banner. Atkins shakes are also fine, but a little pricey. Just take it slow and easy when trying new things. I'm still learning that eating/drinking isn't a race.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

MyOwnSunshine
on 9/17/11 2:32 am
Check with your surgeon -- each plan varies.  I am on clears, including clear protein shakes (and the Syntrax Nectars weren't "clear" enough for them), for one week.  Others are on full liquids right away.  This is something your surgeon's office should have explained to you.  Didn't they provide you with written instructions?

Even though I'm being compliant with my clear liquids, I'm sure I could tolerate full liquids right now.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
mandyc1975
on 9/17/11 2:37 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
I'm having surgery in 3 days and what my surgeon and nutritionist said is pure liquids for 3 weeks, mostly broth and of course protein. I was told if I eat any cream based soups, I have to thin it out, blend it, and then pour it through a strainer to make sure absolutely no chunks get through. Every surgeon gives different orders. I think mine is just very cautous so there's no chance of leaking.

Also I found nectar protein powder. It comes in different fruit flavors and can be mixed with water so it not only counts as 23 grams of protein but also as part of my water. If your interested, you can go to syntrax.com and look under products for nectar. You can call and order a sample pack for $13. They will have it to you in 2 days and you can try all the flavors before buying a big container of a flavor you don't like. 

Good Luck with everything!  
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views