Sleeve around the corner and scared sh*tless...HELP

smallerme_27
on 9/17/11 3:05 pm - Canada
I have been on the waiting list for 6 years for Weight loss surgery, now at 321lbs, I am at my heaviest. I got my first call in May this year and met with the Bariatric Surgeon and we both decided the Sleeve would be best for me. Since May I have had information session on the surgery, phychological assessment and 2 days ago, I signed my consent papers before surgery...I know surgery is right around the corner in 2 months or so. However, now I am having second thoughts about all of this! :( I am SCARED....I have never had surgery in my life, I am terrified of anasthetic and what if I have long-life consequences because of the surgery? what if I am stuck with severe GERD or vomiting all the time, or worst what if I die on the table or have leakeage, blockages, blood cloths...I am having a big panick! I am a phone call away from cancelling everything....I am looking for help or if this has happened to anyone, if they could please give me advice. My everyday life is affected by my weight..I am borderline diabetic and I have thyroid disorder, high blood pressure and A LOT of pain everywhere..knees, back and hips mostly. I feel like I can't go on much longer like this but on the other hand I am terrified of having this surgery....I know some people that would kill to be in my position now with surgery right around the corner..I just cant work myself up to being excited I guess and looking for a little advice. What are my chances of regretting? any of you regret it? anyone in worst shape after surgery? Please help?!?!
BethR311
on 9/17/11 3:37 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
I know how you feel.  I have been lurking around here off and on for TEN YEARS but got serious last year when I became type II diabetic.  I know what a death sentence that can be.  My surgery is October 10 and while I just want to get it over with already I am ten different kinds of scared.

But I am a surgery veteran and I can tell you that the meds are better than they used to be.  The last time I vomited from anesthesia was in 1980.  Since then I have had a facial repair, C section, lap chole (gallbladder removal), uterine ablation and open hysterectomy and have told every anesthesiologist that I have vomited from anesthesia, and they give me something so that it doesn't happen.  For me waking up is the worst part so I try as hard as I can to wake up as fast as I can.  If I'm out I'm out, I just hate that groggy in between place. 

Go over to the regrets board, or the complications board.  Even the ones who have major complications say they would do it again.

Deep breaths ... we will get through this and the post op aftermath and right choice by right choice, day by day, start building our better lives.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
charmaine A.
on 9/17/11 3:39 pm - MI
Hi there....I was you not to long ago but I had to think of the reality of it all.  Your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or diabetic problem are much higher at 321 than the surgery risks.  I had my surgery in Feb and I couldnt be happier with the progress I have made thus far.  If you have been waiting for six years, obviously you can not do this without surgery or you would have.  I know I am no where my goal yet, but I think I am doing well.  I only wish that I could have had the surgery years ago, but it was the right time for me, because years ago would have meant bypass and I am so glad I didnt choose that route.  hugss I hope this helps.

Best of Luck, Charmaine

fatfree2b
on 9/17/11 4:00 pm, edited 9/17/11 4:10 pm - TX
Hi there, I just wanted to share with you my experience.  I had my surgery (sleeve) on 9/6/11 and I am doing very well.  I too had diabetes, high blood pressure and left the hospital off those meds.  My sugar has been normal and so has my blood pressure.  I feel really good, I know I am still new but I had the same fears you are having and right before my surgery I got excited because i just knew my life would improve. I really wasn't living life at all, the weight kept me from participating in some many social things, and just made it hard to get around.  It was such a struggle everyday to just get through it, and I knew I had to do something. I had to go through a 6 month process with the counseling, nutritionist and such, so it was not a rush decision,  it just took me awhile to get excited about it. Now I am sleeved and learning how to take care of my new tiny tummy and looking forward to living life. I have a ways to go yet, but now I have confidence in myself that I am going to succeed. I wish you the best with your decision, but I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was up walking the same day as surgery. I was worried too about leaks, and blood clots, but they test so well for leaks before you leave the hospital and walking helps so much with the circulation, so I walk as much as possible.  No problems with the anesthesia either. I have no regrets. Good luck to you.
Mary
hmahler
on 9/17/11 5:08 pm - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
In my opinion there would be something MORE wrong with you if you weren't having these feelings.  The unknown is scary.  I can tell you that I felt the same as you - and wanted very badly to cancel my surgery in the weeks leading up to it.  I had mini-panic attacks.  I feared the post-operative pain, dying on the table and leaving my children parentless, and all the hard work that I knew would come during the weightloss phase.  These are all legitimate feelings.  So don't feel bad about having them.  But please, plow forward.  You are absolutely doing the right thing.

For me the post-operative discomfort wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated and I had a completely uneventful surgery and recovery.  And today, just one year and two months from surgery, I am down 224 lbs.  I never would have imagined this possible and it is the best thing I could have ever done for myself.  Ironically I have plastic surgery scheduled for this December and I am once again experiencing the panic.  I'm sure it will continue up to the moment I hop on the surgical table in December.  But I'm holding on to the great likelihood that I will think it was all worth it in the end.

Good luck.

Hally

Check out my blog at
www.mahlersonsafari.blogspot.com   

lisa53406
on 9/17/11 9:13 pm - Racine, WI
What you are feeling is totally normal. In fact, I seriously considered changing my mind as I was in pre-op.

This surgery is the best thing I've ever done. I am still learning about my body and what works best. Its a process. Recovery was better than I expected. I always listened to my body.

My advice:
1. Take a Deep Breath
2. Listen to the logical voice in your head and remind yourself that the emotional response is just that, emotional.
3. Distract yourself with other thoughts.

My best to you!

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
abrown8434
on 9/18/11 12:20 am - VA
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

SoonSkinnyDonna
on 9/18/11 12:24 am - Dana Point, CA
 Hi - calm down & get happy - this is a very easy surgery - much less involved than a bypass - and you are at more risk probably by weighing over 300 lbs.  I'm three years out and it was the greatest thing I ever did - my husband did his the following year and we always want to go up to fat people and tell them about the sleeve - fear builds on itself and a positive attitude means a lot - so get excited and happy - you will go through some rough times over the next 4 months and then it will all settle into normal and you will be on here like me telling someone how great it is....

SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158
-- & lookin good! next goal - no flabby skin?

Carlen T.
on 9/18/11 12:56 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I am scheduled for surgery on 10/6 and about 2 weeks ago posted almost the same thing as you. So, my advise - take a deep breath and then another, and keep on doing the same. Then, keep telling yourself all the reasons why you decided to have the surgery in the first place. I agree, there are risks, but everyday life has its risks - car accidents, slip and falls, whatever. But if we don't do this for ourselves we might never know the new healthy us that is there to know. I am going into this with my eyes wide open, risks and all, knowing that I am taking steps toward a better life for myself. I know you can do the same too.

Best of luck to you on your journey, I know you can find your strength and inspiration to do what is right for you!

Carlen T        

Freelook
on 9/18/11 12:59 am
I just had my sleeve done on Sept. 15th.  I am still hurting but I have had no issues with nausea.  I just have gas bubbles to pass.  I was on my way to having all of the co-morbidities that go along with be severely obese.  I tried to tell myself that the surgery is needed to help me get better and I would rather have this surgery than cardiac bypass, diabetes etc.
Most Active