Sleeve around the corner and scared sh*tless...HELP

fullohope
on 9/18/11 1:08 am
I was scared as well (just had vsg almost 4 weeks ago). Actually terrified was the word. I asked for an ativan when i came to the hospital for surgery as i was scared i was going to run out of there the morning my surgery was supposed to take place!
I was so nervous. But the morning of surgery I was actually very calm. I don't know what came over me. I didn't even take the ativan.

I think it was something I read online. It was written by a woman who had bariatric surgery.
She stated that it was better to have routine bariatric surgery by a bariatric surgeon (and other hospital staff) that are familiar with the risks/complications than going into an emergency surgery as a morbidly obese person.
This bariatric elective surgery is a much safer way of having surgery as a morbidly obese person than having emergency surgery on with a general surgeon and hospital team that don't specialize working with morbidly obese patients.

I think that as a morbidly obese person i was at risk for having some sort of emergency surgery eventually. I decided that I think I was better off doing the surgery now and if the day came when i did need emergency surgery ....i would be a healthy weight if and when that day arrived.

Not sure if you find this helpful. It worked for me.

hrford
on 9/18/11 2:46 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I'm still waiting for my surgery so take this as you will.  I think of it in these terms, just because I'm breathing doesn't mean I'm living!  There are so many things I can't do because of my weight, that I just sit on the sidelines.  Is that really living?  So is it a risk?  Of course it is but it is a very small risk when weighed against getting to live again and the fact that I will more than likely be around to see my kids graduate and see my gradkids than I would if I didn't take that risk.  My dad died at 46 from obesity related issues and I certainly don't want that for me.  I'd rather take the risk now and have so much more to live for, for the rest of my life rather than be so scared I stay in this shell of a life I have now.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

smallerme_27
on 9/18/11 3:00 am - Canada
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I have been crying my eyes out since yesterday wondering what to do and scared, however when I saw how many people had the same feelings at some point it made me feel normal. I guess it is normal because I tend to over-analyze things and this has its positive and negatives I guess...but I do realize now that the risks with staying where I am now are much LARGER than the surgery risks. I will take a deep breath and consider myself lucky to be able to have this done at 27 years old rather than 40-50+ like a lot of patients. I am glad to have such wonderful support from you guys it sure helps a lot to talk to people that are in your shoes and know how you feel. I am forever grateful to have found this website with so many special friends
Omw2thin
on 9/21/11 1:05 pm
Im so scared i feel like walking away im scheduled for sep27 2011 but im worried because they told me i would not be able to take advils or motrin for the rest of my life and i have ostereo arthritis and stress headackes vertigo and asthma so im on all types of meds is there anyone else whos had the sleeve and has asthma or gets migranes what types of pain killers do you take? Besides tylenol because it does not work at all for me best of luck to you
VickyBT
on 9/21/11 2:01 pm - MI
To the above poster if you had the sleeve I think you can get back on NSAIDS eventually or at least i think thats what I heard,

To the original poster...perfectly normal to feel scared but look at it this way...bariatric sugery is much less risky than open heart surgery.  When I was in pre-op after they started my IV they gave me  Versed and Fentanyl which makes you feel relaxed.  Its all over before you know it and you will wonder why you were so scared.  Hang in there...the first 2 weeks suck but you get better day by day.
Best wishes with your surgery.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active