First week reflections... (long post warning)

Soosy
on 9/19/11 3:39 am - TX
So today rounds up my first week post -op and I have to say over all I feel great!

Some notes or 'reflections' on the last 7 days...

Day 1: the last thing I remember before going under was asking the operating room crew if Dr. B would take pics of my insides cuz I really wanted to see how I look in there. The answer was no. Then I have vague memory of being wheeled into my room where my hubby was waiting... They asked him to leave the room for a minute while they got me situated. Someone was 'bird feeding me pink stuff, 4 squirts and coaching me to swallow it. Couldn't keep my eyes open really... Then was in and out of it for the next couple hours. I'd wake up to my hubby spoon feeding me ice chips and asking how I was.

Finally I was asked to get out of bed and try walking around. Upon standing I got nauseated and sat in a chair for a while. More meds and fluids administered and finally I needed to pee... The first time I realized my ROM was limited, could hardly reach my vag to wipe! Lol! Anyhow, took a slow stroll around the hospital with hubby and iv pump in tow... By 11pm I was doing two laps and had one more bottle of water to consume.

Day 2: (wednesday) discharged by 10am! All stats were great! Did not get a good nights sleep, but knew I'd get more rest at home. We had a 3.5 hour drive home and still made good time considering we stopped twice so I could walk. I was sore, but it was tolerable!

Days 3-5: pretty much all the same... Each day the pain decreases, swelling goes down, and less meds are needed. The challenge of course is getting the fluids in! I've had a lot of burping especially with water and broths.

Thursday had some mild depression, mourning food etc...

On Saturday I braved a trip to Walmart with hubby. It was a little too much activity even though I clung to the cart. But the visual overload being in the food dept was way overwhelming!

Day 6: got up for church armed with my protein shake and water bottle. Felt pretty good! Heard a great message! Love when He speaks so clearly to me that way. Oh, side note about church... The announcer guy had us greet our neighbor and ask how we could pray for them. The lady in front of me had turned to me and after introductions she said well I had Surgery on Monday... I said wow! I had surgery Tuesday! Hers was something for her colon, but we briefly compared stories and such... So neat to have such divine intervention like that!

After church, we came home and enjoyed some time together being lazy waiting for the Cowboy game to start! Which they won in overtime! Go Cowboys!!

Today: I had a nice leisurely 20 minute walk in my neighborhood. Trying to drink my fluids! And I plan to get some things (chores) done around the house.

The last two days I have been able to consume about 3oz of cream of potato soup thinned with chicken broth. I blended it so it smooth. I also have about half a protein shake each day. Decaf tea and sf Popsicles seem to go down pretty easy as well as diet v8 splash.

I hit a wall about 4pm each day where I just feel fatigued. The first couple of days had a low grade (99.1) fever but went away with a half dose pain meds.

I switched to liquid Tylenol before bed last night. Trying to get off the pain meds all together. Also, I noticed that I hate the taste of my multi vits, currently using centrum chewables. Might try the gummies later, just don't want to waste the ones I have!

My hubby started eating around me yesterday... Not fun but okay. Some of his food smelled incredible!! My mind is swirling with ideas on new foods for when I get there! I'm anxious to try shiratake noodles and experiment with some recipes!

So far so good!

HW: 285. Pre-op diet: 273. Day of surgery: 253. Day after surgery: 261. Today's weight: 241.

Guess that's it!
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

Lisa J.
on 9/19/11 3:56 am - OK

CONGRAULATIONS! You're in the right frame of mind, have a great support group and are so far, sounding like you're exactly where you need to be at this point!

AND you've lost your IV weight and then some! WOO HOO! Yeah, actual sleep at a hospital just never happens so I'm glad you're home where you can actually get comfortable and have your DH and your own comfy things around. It helps! ;-)

It's great that you're able to get down some soup and stuff, that's awesome! Just remember tha****ER is still the most important thing at this point. Eventually you'll be able to get in both protein and your water quantities but it will be a few more weeks at least.

Enjoy this ride! If you haven't done it yet, swallow your pride and measure all the important stuff like waist, calves, thighs, hips, neck, arms, ankles etc, write it down and put it away. Do it again in a month or when you think you're in a stall--it will remind you that even when you don't have a scale telling you you've lost a couple lbs, the tape will tell!!

This is SUCH an amazing experience, document it and be proud! There are so many people that can't afford or be covered for this surgery, or are too afraid to make this step, embrace it with everything you have!

ROCK YOUR SLEEVE!!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Soosy
on 9/19/11 4:04 am - TX
Thanks Lisa!

I just talked to a friend about coming over when she gets off work and taking measurements!

I can tell I'm shrinking already just b/c my rings are spinning on my fingers!

Forgot to mention this weird bumpy rash on my upper left arm... But I'm assuming it's related to meds or something.

I asked my hubs to take the scale away so I'm not tempted to weigh everyday...

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement!
~Susan

injeneral
on 9/19/11 8:53 am
I broke out in a horrible rash all over my abdomen and on my inner arms -- I'm pretty sure it was from the meds as well. It was gone in about 10 days although it itched sooo bad and made me insane.

You sound like you're doing awesome -- I love reading posts like this where the OP is on the right track and KNOWS what to do and DOES it. That's the secret, isn't it?? Good luck to you on your journey!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Soosy
on 9/19/11 9:43 am - TX
Thanks! I'm about to go get some hydracortizone cream for the ra****'s on both arms now but mostly the left... Glad it's normal! (sort of)
~Susan

Mr-Smith
on 9/19/11 3:59 am - Hillsdale, MI
Except for the vag thing, your recovery is very similiar to mine. Although, I can get all my protien and liqueds down.  I did 70 oz yesterday with 95 grams protien
Soosy
on 9/19/11 4:07 am - TX
Lol! That's how I told my cousin I could gauge my progress each day... It got easier and easier! All good now!
~Susan

Rekeca
on 9/19/11 4:21 am - NC
Glad you are doing great. Our recovery has been similar. Although I get fatigued really easily. Its really getting on my nerves since I have so many projects I want to do around the house while I am out of work. I have been having trouble getting all of my protein and water in as well. However I think today is the day that I will be able to get both in. Glad you posted your journey.

Soosy
on 9/19/11 4:39 am - TX
Yes! Me too!! I'll do some house work and feel wiped out!! Even just putting laundry away or unloading the dish washer!

I usually end up setting my timer for 3 minutes and drink and reset, drink and reset... BORING! Works well if you put a movie in and just relax though!

Good luck to you!!
~Susan

3DogNight _
on 9/19/11 5:34 am - Clarkston, GA
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.  I'm saving for future reference.  Hopefully soon!
3DogNight

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views