What are you doing for a winter coat?

cabcab
on 9/24/11 12:47 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I had a depressing visit to Burlington Coat Factory today.  I tried on several XL's and they were all on the snug side.  And I had on a light t-shirt, not a bulky sweater!  I can wear XL t-shirts with no problem, they're even on the baggier side.  But nooooooo, the XL coats were too small.  And, I didn't really like any of the styles anyway.

There are lots of coats that I like on the Lands End, L.L. Bean and Eddie Bauer websites, but I don't want to spend $150 (probably more) on a coat that will hopefully be too big by the time the winter is half over.  Most of them are offered in plus sizes, but I have to admit I don't want to have to get a 2XL!  I don't want to have to get a plus size!!  I'm so over being PLUS!  I guess I can get an XL and hope I fit into it by the time it gets cold, but that doesn't always work out.

I live in Denver, and you need a warm coat here.

What are y'all planning on doing for a temporary coat?
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

LeahBea
on 9/24/11 12:51 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with
I was just trying to figure this out earlier today! Hoping I find an option... Good luck!

Leah

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 12:51 pm
I've shrunk back into my old wool peacoat and wool long coat.. both were too much $$ to give away years ago.. but goodwill and thrift have scored me some pretty nice stuff in the past, maybe try there?
kimbethin
on 9/24/11 1:02 pm - CA
crazy but I bought a size OX wool coat on clearance a few years ago.  It never fit and now it almost fits.  I  would buy the XL and work that sleeve!  You still have time, if it doesn't work out hit the thrift shops.  I know the XL will fit before long.  Have faith in yourself and your sleeve.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Krazydoglady
on 9/24/11 1:34 pm - FL
Once you get out of plus sizes, figure 10lbs a dress size.  So, for example, while I was shopping in Canada in early September, I was wearing 14's on the bottom, 12's on the top.  I bought several FABULOUS jackets that will be appropriate for Florida in a November-ish time frame (it was 92 here, today). Figuring I will slow down, a little, here, sooner or later, I bought Small's and 8's that were pretty snug, then.  They are a little  snug for me now (8lbs lost since then), and will be perfect in a month to 6 weeks particularly since they fit so well through my relatively narrow shoulders

I find, now, that I don't have to go to petites on top anymore.  As I've gotten into smaller sizes, the back length and shoulders fit me way better.  Pants,I'm right on the line between Petite and Regular given I'm relatively short waisted.  I was trying on 10 dresses and 12 jeans today and they fit beautifully. I just couldn't bring myself to buy anything cold-weather given it's like SWELTERING hot and humid, still.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Elaine2
on 9/24/11 1:36 pm - Atlanta, GA
I would guess in Denver you need an uber warm coat.
I would start at Goodwill and maybe look for a wrap type coat that you can continue to belt in as the winter gets colder and you get skinnier. Check out Target, TJMaxx or Marshalls. 

Plus you know that all XLs are not the same. Some just run larger/smaller than others.

Happy shopping.  

2BSheila
on 9/24/11 1:37 pm - Nashville, TN
I agree with the suggestion of thrift stores or consignement shops.  You might also see if there are any "estate sales" in your area.  I've refused to buy "new" clothes until I get closer to goal, and have found most of my new wardrobe in consignment shops or thrift stores.  Last weekend, a friend brought me an entire suitcase filled with tops and jackets she found at an estate sale.  At $2 each, I have a major addition to my fall and winter wardrobe for $50.  Keep looking, you will soon find a non-plus size which works for you, and will likely be too big for you before the spring thaw.

tripmom02
on 9/24/11 2:02 pm - NJ
 I went to a local thrift shot and found the perfect jacket for this winter! Call around and ask them 1) if they carry coats and 2) if they have any in the size you are looking for, this way you can save yourself a trip if they don't have one in your size! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

b_scene33
on 9/24/11 10:16 pm - OH

Does the burlington you go to offer discounts for coats for kids, it's that time of yr here, they generally give a 20% discount for trading in a used coat.
I bought a nice leather winter jacket last year for like $35.00.
But I would say the simplest cheapest way would be to go to a second hand store, this time of year there are a crazy amount of coats usually.- no sense in spending a ton on a coat that wont fit for very long!
Good luck

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

michellemj
on 9/24/11 10:53 pm
I'm having that same issue...and my weight is relatively stable so I'll probably order something from Lands End eventually. I was shopping yesterday and M wool coats just don't fit over the girls, so I'll probably need a L despite wearing mostly S and M tops.

I wish I had the foresight to save my old coats and offer them here on the board...I did donate them, but those 1XL and 2XLs would have been appreciated here too, huh?

I live in NYC and walk everywhere, so I too need something warm (and long!).

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views