How to purchase clothes while losing weight

watchmenow
on 9/29/11 11:53 pm

Good Morning.

I am curious to know how you trasitioned through your weightloss with clothes.  What type clothes did you purchase?  Did you just wear really big clothes til you reached goal?  What is the best way economically? 

I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

jadelet
on 9/29/11 11:55 pm, edited 9/29/11 11:59 pm
THRIFT STORES ARE MY FRIEND. As are stretchy rayon skirts and pants, and shirts that tie under the bust and flow at the waist. And wrap dresses, if you can find them.

Also, though this isn't helping me ( its helping someone else,) you might find a clothes-donor of your own if you look around. I found someone in my support group who needed a little help, and I was happy to pass on all my too-big clothes since she's just like one notch higher than me in the slide down the scale. I just asked her to please pass on the good fortune to someone else in the group or who was going through the surgery, or give them to her church or goodwill when she was done with them. Thats where I would have sent them anyway. Some support groups I saw have clothes swaps but I haven't seen any around me.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.?

HW: 280   SW: 277 CW: 196

Karen-Adventure
on 9/30/11 12:01 am
Hi,

I am only a few weeks out from my WLS and like most girls I already have a clothing plan.  I really like pretty clothes...  I will buy a few shirts etc as I move down the scale to celebrate my body changes and to make myself more comfortable.  Of course jeans and pants will be replaced once they are really loose.  But I don't intend on buying a whole new wardrobe until my weight has stabilized and I make my goal.  I would not feel very comfortable or very encouraged if I am wearing clothes that are tent huge on my future slim self. LOL

vacationlover
on 9/30/11 12:20 am
Here is what you shouldn't do: Do NOT order pants online, in a size that you are sure fits you.  I ordered a size that I was sure would be a little tight on me.  I got them, and they fit perfect that day, but were too big a week later :(  I wish I wouldn't have worn them, so I could have returned them!

I try to buy my pants a little snug, and stretchy, so that they will last a while.  Shirts are harder for me.  I buy them when they are a tad too tight, and where them until they are baggy.

I haven't had great luck in thrift stores, so I've been buying stuff on sale at Kohls.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

fypcdqt
on 9/30/11 12:28 am - Cumming, GA
I tend to buy clearance. It has worked out for me so far - JCPenney had a great sale during the Fourth of July, so I bought fall clothes from their clearance section, 2 and 3 sizes smaller than I could wear at the time, trying to predict my size when I'd be able to wear them. Guess what - it's the end of September and I am wearing them now! The shirts are a little tight, but that means I will get to wear them a little longer. The sweaters I bought will last a while, too, as you can wear sweaters baggier or these are a nice length where I can add a belt if needed, to add some shape.

Also - I haven't been on here for a little bit, so I'm not sure if you're a guy or girl. Looks like all the tips so far are for girls. I will say I also bought my dad things from clearance and coupled it with the coupons during the holiday weekends. I hate paying full price and I ended up with 2 sweaters, 2 shirts, a dress, a light cover up, a lunch bag and some Soda Stream for my brother for under $50.

I think the best tips are to not spend too much money on anything you know won't last, and when looking at an item, try to decide if it can only be worn when it fits perfectly, or if you can get multiple uses out of it. And then there's always Wal-Mart that will provide you filler clothes that may or may not last long.

Best of luck!

Amy

tristak
on 9/30/11 1:17 am
I live for places like Ross, Marshall's and TJ Maxx.  Thrift stores in my area were not my thing.  I stuck with a price point of $10-$15 per item.  I was fortunate that work was OK with me wearing jeans every day.  I had one pair of adjustable waist slacks for more formal work needs.  Once Spring/Summer arrived I found all sorts of capri pants and light weight shirts.  As Fall gets closer (I live in Northern CA so Fall tends to arrive end of September/early October) I have been hunting for inexpensive work slacks and have done great.  Again just a few key pieces is really all you need.  I tended to wait 2 pants sizes before buying new pants - I found I could get away with that.  Bras are probably the trickiest of all - I waited a solid 8 months before investing in new bras.  However I highly recommend new bras when you can afford it - as they just make you feel better!

Enjoy the journey!

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

Lisa J.
on 9/30/11 1:32 am - OK
I can confidently say that my transfer addiction is SHOPPING!

I have always been a savvy shopper, will NOT pay full price for something unless I am very convinced that if I wait it won't be available or it's too special not to buy--however that has only happened twice in my life so I safely say I am a sale shopper.

When I finally realized that the baggy clothes weren't going to cut it, and that was pretty quickly (I just felt sloppy) I would peruse the clearance rack at my fave store and pick something one label size smaller. Just don't fall in love with a size because you won't be in it very long, certainly not long enough to get your money's worth. I would do this about once a month and in that time if I also saw something a couple sizes smaller than that, I'd take a chance. There was only one item in about a year that I couldn't wear at least once. And because I didn't pay much for them, I didn't mind swapping them out and donating quickly again. When I say "didn't pay much, I'm saying under $12-15. Most things much less. I am a tight wad and take joy in bargains!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
vacationlover
on 9/30/11 1:34 am
Regarding bras...

I usually like having 7 bras.  However, what I am doing right now is: Wait until the bras are really really too big (cup and band), then buy 2 that fit me.  Repeat.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

watchmenow
on 9/30/11 2:53 am
Thanks for the great advice.  I think I am more concerned about bottoms than tops.  I have made a few preparations. I have given away some of my clothes already because I had lost a lot preop.  Believe me! I mourned those clothes!  I had so many nice clothes.  I stopped mourning the instant my husband said...........Would you rather give the clothes away and gain to fit them again?  Of course not!!!!! 
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

Elaine2
on 9/30/11 3:32 am - Atlanta, GA
You also might be surprised at the "store in your closet"  or those storage bags you've stuck under the bed. When you have some time, organize  your old stuff by sizes. You might find you have some stuff to tide you over through certain phases.

I was surprised at some of the items I found in storage---but I'm a pack rat and  didn't give things away for years!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views