What do you all think...??

Marcia B.
on 10/10/11 9:10 am - CA
My nut told me that ketosis is something we don't want our bodies to be in and that eating a healthy balanced diet is a better long term so to add back in healthy carbs.  For energy since working out so often.  First off what is ketosis and you don't eat carbs to be in this stage? (for lack of a better word) and secondly why are carbs a bad things if they are healthy carbs?

Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

emelar
on 10/10/11 9:22 am - TX
Ketosis means your body is burning fat, which is exactly what you want to do.  Some NUTs think that staying in ketosis too long is a bad thing, but I don't think there's any back-up for it.  Too many carbs will take you out of ketosis because your body will burn the carbs before it turns to fat.
acbbrown
on 10/10/11 9:24 am - Granada Hills, CA
I've opts for the healthy balanced diet approached and eat fruits/veggies. My average daily carbs are 50-60 lately, and my weight loss is fine.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Smardeepants
on 10/10/11 9:32 am
The easiest form of fuel for your body is carbs/sugar. Anything beyond what you need at that very second is stored for later (for fat).

If you eat plenty of carbs, your body has all the fuel it needs (and no reason to burn fat).

If you restrict carbs/cut way back, your body is forced to burn fat for fuel (which is harder). Burning fat for fuel is "ketosis".

Some people (according to my surgeon) confuse harmless "ketosis" with "ketoacidosis" (which is related to type I diabetes, and harmful to kidneys). 

My surgeon says I WANT to be in ketosis (so I will burn fat) and that healthy kidneys (meaning, not in renal failure) will have no problems clearning ketones from the body.

Hope this helps! 

watchmenow
on 10/10/11 10:02 am
What happened to calories in.....calories out?  I have read that long term ketosis can be damaging.  If you are active, you will burn the carbs you eat.  I have found that most people are not true low carbers anyway.  They don't count fruits and veggies nor carbs in protein supplements which would exceed the carbs per day anyway.  Nutritionists try to get us to a healthy diet which is what we did not have before. I would follow the advice of my health care professional

Uh-oh.........here comes the Carb Police!!
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

Elaine2
on 10/10/11 10:22 am, edited 10/10/11 10:26 am - Atlanta, GA
While I don't necessarily agree with your NUT's  comments, I would work with him/her on your eating plan. You selected the surgeon/NUT, so I would assume you have confidence in their guidance. Besides that, allot of NUTs will tailor plans for their clients. One size certainly doesn't  always fit all...even within the same practice, IMHO. My NUT doesn't usually recommend 

Edited to add----damn lost half my post.2x------My NUT doesn't usually recommend
Marcia B.
on 10/10/11 12:35 pm - CA
I have faith in my nut but I always like to hear it from people who are going through the same process as me :) thanks
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Elaine2
on 10/10/11 10:31 am, edited 10/10/11 10:40 am - Atlanta, GA
What the heck is wrong---can't even edit

My NUT doesn't usually recommend less than 30 carbs to her clients but with consultation agrees that it works for me during the losing phase.

However, if you're going to track, track everything. Even my multi vitamin gets listed as it has calories and 1 or 2 carbs. If it's consumed, it's tracked.

mama2girls
on 10/10/11 11:43 am
My program is low carb, but the ideas is to take in more protein than carbs, I lose 4-5 lbs weekly and do not plan on changing in till at least I want to maintain

HW:409  SW:328 CW:185-190 GW: 190, lowest wt:165;

GS Surgery date 8/9/11

Body by Sauceda born 12/9/16

"I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself"

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 11:50 am
 I am assuming that you chose your NUT for a reason.  I disagree with your NUT and would not follow her advice, but I would probably not have chosen her in the first place.  I fully respect your choice to do whatever you believe is right for you.  I would like you to be aware that as a card carrying member of the "carb police", I did not come to this position easily.  I spent a full year before surgery researching different doctors, their programs and their stats.  I chose my doctor and dietitian based on my research.  I then researched their position on the aftercare diet and it took many days spent at the local university library before I was convinced to follow their program.  I would like you to also check out how many successful vets chose the same program to follow.  As long as you have done all of your research and feel that her advice is best, then you should follow your head.  Here are some of the reasons I chose to follow the low carb diet.  This is by no means and exclusive list.

1) The main benefit being that staying in ketosis increases the body's ability to utilize fats for fuel. 

2) When your body has no further need for the ketons you simply pee them out.  Great way to pee out fat.

3)
Once in ketosis the body actually prefers ketones to glucose. Since the body has large  quantities of fat this means that there is no need to oxidize protein to produce glucose.  In other words you preserve your muscle mass.

4) Another great reason to stay in ketosis is that it decreases your hunger.

There are many other reasons why this is a far superior way to lose weight, and it is not dangerous as long as you are not diabetic.  If you are diabetic, there are some risks and you should speak with your doctor about them. The bottom line is that ketosis is not dangerous but
ketoacidosis is, however that is the extreme case of ketosis and only happens in diabetes.  
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views