Question Re: Pre-Op & Caffeine?

carleneyy
on 10/19/11 7:58 am
In my pre-op diet, it states I cannot have caffeine. I drink both coffee & tea. I see Dr. Alvarez's pre-op diet & he said coffee & tea are ok to drink ( He is not my Dr.). Anyways, my question is why do you think the Dr. doesn't want his patients to drink coffee/tea pre-op?
SassyItalian
on 10/19/11 8:06 am, edited 10/18/11 8:16 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
follow your own doctor's plan. this is your first rule for success. it doesnt matter what another doctor is ok with.

your doc probably doesnt want you having caffeine because 1. its a diuretic and will dehydrate you and 2. you need to wean off of it for surgery.

caffeine will dehydrate you and you cannot afford that post op. you cannot drink caffeine for a while post op because of the dehydration issue as you only take in so little it must be caffeine free and its not good for stomach healing.

wean off of it now, slowly, you may get headaches from the withdrawl. you will need to do that for post-op because if you drink caffeine newly post-op you are going to have a problem.

always, always, always, follow your docs plan!

*edit to add, dont take my firmness as meanness, im just very matter of fact sometimes when i respond. follow that plan and you will do great im sure. its very exciting your date is almost here! congrats

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Mr-Smith
on 10/19/11 9:08 am - Hillsdale, MI
It's your call but you have enough to deal with post-op that adding in a caffeine withdrawl will just adds to your level of discomfort.

k__
on 10/19/11 9:23 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15
I got terrible headaches post-op for about 10 days. I'm sure it was made worse because I had my wonderful 16+ oz. coffee every day up until my surgery.  If I had it to do over, I'd go off the coffee at least 2 weeks pre-op.

Mrs.Goose
on 10/19/11 10:00 am

My doctor has cleared me to have up to 2 cups of caffeine per day.  But I get headaches really bad when I withdrawal from caffeine so I have opted to just give it up all together. I know I may change my mind at some point because there’s just something about a nice hot cup of coffee on a cold winter morning (and my husband is not willing to go to decaf) but for now I will settle for my hot decaf tea. 

FaithForward
on 10/19/11 10:39 am - Houston, TX
I have 8oz coffee every day. It's my drug of choice. I started back with my coffee about 5 months post op. Some things a girl just cannot give up. Coffee ranks right up there with Chanel in my book!
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

carleneyy
on 10/19/11 10:42 am
Thanks for the replies! My surgery is next Wed. I will quit caffeine Monday. I really don't drink to much. I want to stay out of a coma as long as possible. Wish me luck!  
Most Active