My friend is selling weightloss products!!! (Long)

watchmenow
on 10/23/11 3:42 am
First of all, I have not disclosed that I had vsg to anyone. When I started my 6 months preop diet, I shared with my friend that I was against expensive fads because I believe that heavy people are exploited.  We spend countless dollars on plans that are not solving the problem.  They are just using us to make money knowing that we have to keep going back. I told her that I think every person who has a weight problem should have a honest conversation with their doctor and make a decision on what to do based on sound medical advice.  I told her I was only going to do what insurance would pay for.  I wasn't spending any more of my $ on fads.  She knew that I was on a doctor supervised modified diet.

The other night when I talked to her she said, "I know you are not going to like it but I need to make some money and lose weight so I started a new business selling weightloss products".
I responded, "No, I don't like it but that is your choice."  She added that her doctor would not help her with her weight and only told her to join W***** W***ers.

The weightloss product costs $750.00 for 3 mos. It calls for 2 shakes(9g protein each) and 1 sensible dinner.  Isn't that S*** F**t? Protein shakes are cheaper at GNC! She said she had lost weight and was not hungry.  I said every diet works if you are committed to it.  Right now you are committed.  I encouraged her to hang on no matter what I was thinking.

If selling this expensive product  is not exploitation what is?  I was there.  I believed a lot of things and didn't read the fine print.....results not typical. Not only is she in a pyramid scheme but she is using the devastation of obese people.  I just don't believe in it but............you know my motto.  I mind my own business. Yes, I have a problem with it.  I would not sell or buy it but that is not my business!
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

theshrinkingmimi
on 10/23/11 4:14 am
 I think that you handled it well. It's exploitation- yes.  Keep in mind that 'businesses' like that usually don't last long.  You wouldn't want her to judge or attack you.  I'm guessing that it is a phase.  She will probably be out of business in less than a year- if not 6 months.  Unfortunately, it will also cost her a lot of money because those 'businesses' exploit their 'employees' or sellers as well.  She already knows how you feel.  Anything more will just turn into a battle of wills, disrespect, and hurt.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
BuckeyeGirl
on 10/23/11 4:47 am - TN
Yes, it sounds like it may be exploitative on the part of the company, but not on the part of your friend although she is a participant. Since she is attempting to lose weight with the product, it sounds like, for now at least, it is something she believes will work.

And...it may actually work if people can stick to the program. Some people do have success with structured programs. At least it isn't a eat-whatever-you-want-just-take-this-pill type of thing.

As we all know here, obesity is a little more complicated than eat-less-move-more for many of us. Of course that will work, but for most of us here, we had to resort to surgery in order to help us stick to that formula. Some people even require more than just restriction and need a malabsorptive component.

Then there must be a stigma associated with surgical treatment of obesity out there that keep so many people "in the closet" so to speak. While your medical history is indeed no one's business and you can choose to tell everyone or no one as you please, I haven't heard of as many people feeling the need to keep other treatment for medical conditions so hush, hush with the exception of some mental health disorders, reproductive conditions, or perhaps...STDs.

Anyway, so just like most of us did, those who struggle with obesity will likely want to try everything out there prior to considering surgical options. Maybe one day when people can't help but notice your rapidly shrinking self, you will feel more comfortable sharing what worked for you so that you may plant a seed that takes one more person out of the always growing diet industry's wallet.

In the meantime, just hope that your friend comes to her senses and/or that she is stronger than most of us and is able to restrict her diet without surgical intervention.

Best,
Lindsey

Most Active