Calories and pre-op mentality

fypcdqt
on 11/2/11 11:44 pm - Cumming, GA
Hi guys!

My nutritionist tells me not to worry about calories - to focus on protein first, and then if room have veggies, then fruit or other carbs last.  I still worry about calories, though.  Not as much about how many I get in a day (though I do start to freak out when I get close to 700 - still working through the mental challenges of eating).  I worry about not getting enough net calories.

I have started working out more intensly, and yesterday I ended up with 312 net calories.  I ate 990 calories and burned 678 between my elliptical in the morning and walking in the evening (family outing).  I wouldn't be so worried, but I could not wake up this morning, even though I had slept 10 hours straight!  I don't have a fever, so I don't think I am coming down with anything.  My only conclusion is that I might have overdone it yesterday on accident.

I track everything I eat, drink, etc.  I am taking my vitamins, getting in all of my protein (most of it from natural sources vs. protein powder), and as far as I know, I am right on plan for my food.  A typical day for me ends up being 600-700 calories eaten, but when I jump on the elliptical, it's not uncommon for me to burn 300-400 calories in a workout. 

Pre-op I was very focused on calories in, calories out.  I haven't been able to change that view yet.

Does any one else get freaked out by calories or net calories?  Do I need to just stop looking at calories like my nut says, or should I get a second opinion?  It seems like every nut has a slightly different view.

Thanks in advance!

BETHC500
on 11/3/11 12:05 am
I havent had the surgery yet but I was told to focus on at least 60-70 grams of protein a day. Do become more active to excercize regularly and such but not to push so hard that I cause myself pain. Hope this helps... good luck...
MyOwnSunshine
on 11/3/11 12:07 am
I don't necessarily track my net calories, but there are a few days a week that I work out very intensely and will burn maybe 500+ calories while consuming 850 calories.  I don't worry about it too much on that day, but later in the week if I've worked out like I should, I'll find myself feeling very hungry and having muscle fatigue and general weakness.  When that happens, I happily up my calories by eating something higher in calories and fat (cashews) which raises my calories closer to 1000.

It hasn't slowed my weight loss at all.  In fact, I suspect it provides a boost to my metabolism.

I am following my surgeon's plan -- it doesn't have a calorie limit.  I am also following the advice of my counselor who specializes in disordered eating by listening to what my body needs and consuming food as fuel and being kind to my body by providing healthy, nutritious foods in appropriate amounts.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
fypcdqt
on 11/3/11 12:19 am - Cumming, GA
Yeah, my surgeon's plan focuses on protein and not on calories.  I am just adjusting to this new life, and I am slightly paranoid when I don't feel like myself.  Today I just couldn't wake up, even after 10 hours of sleep.  I am trying to be kind to my body and not beat myself up.  I am not going to stop exercising because I love how I feel during and after it, I just don't want to pay for it later by feeling tired.  Maybe I'll try some cashews next time.  I have eaten peanut butter after an intense workout, but I really like the crunch of whole nuts.  Guess I will be hitting the grocery store this afternoon!

I definitely have shifted my focus to what my body needs to get through the day versus what my head thinks I want to eat because every one else is eating like I did pre-op. (That's what got me here in the first place!)

Thanks for the idea about the cashews!

Amy

DarleneR
on 11/3/11 1:25 am
 Hi Amy!  I'm also a Macik girl so I know exactly what you are talking about with his plan.  I have to tell you...his plan works..at least for me it did.  I ate 3 small meals focusing on protein and drank milk a couple of times a day as instructed by Robin.  I never counted my calories while I was trying to lose..only my protein.  You do need to make sure you are eating enough to support the exercise routine you are doing.  Maybe add an extra snack for a couple of days and see if you still feel tired the next day.  Also, are you taking a B12 supplement?  I found I was very tired before I started on B12 injections.

HW/SW/GW/CW
296/277/180/185.6
fypcdqt
on 11/3/11 1:55 am - Cumming, GA
I am not on B12.  I suggested it at my 6 week follow up but he didn't seem too concerned.  He said not to stress unless I was getting so tired I couldn't work.  We'll do labs after Thanksgiving and go from there.

Today is the first day that I wasn't able to wake up with my alarm.  There are days my alarm goes off and I groan, not *wanting* to get up to go to the gym, but today was different.  It was "there is no way my body is moving to get out of this bed right now!".  When I did get out of bed 2 hours later, I was light headed so I figured I made the right call in not pushing myself out of bed to get on an elliptical.  Right after surgery there were days when I'd almost pass out doing simple things like taking a shower or walking through the store or even standing up at my desk.  Those were not fun days, and they were always related to low protein and low calorie intake.  I have since learned when my body is getting close to that mode so I keep beef jerky with me. 

I almost called in to work, but my boss is in California training, so I need to be here in Atlanta to support our client.  Obviously if I need to go home or needed to stay home, they'd live for a day without me.  After my protein shake this morning I was feeling better, and I just had some shredded chicken for lunch, so I should be good the rest of the work day.  *knock on wood*

I think I just need to draw a line between watching caloric intake to make sure I've fueled my body for the day and watching calories to judge myself in a negative light.  I am amazed because pre-op I could easily hit 2400 calories without blinking an eye, and now I'm at 1/4 of that and telling myself to back off the calories! 

I love Dr. Macik and especially Robin!  Just need to stop overanalyzing everything. :)

Congrats on your success - can't wait to be there myself.

DarleneR
on 11/3/11 2:24 am
I think you have the right idea to stop overanalyzing everything but the mind is a powerful thing to have to overcome.  I know mine is playing tricks on me right now by telling me that I've lost too much weight and that I'm too skinny.  Oh please..I still weigh 171 lbs..no way I'm too skinny.  

Hang in there, you will get the hang of this and you too will have much success.  If you ever need a sanity check message me and we can talk about how crazy our brains are together.  :)

HW/SW/GW/CW
296/277/180/185.6
faylavi
on 11/3/11 1:01 am - Laurel, MD
You sound like a VSG pro.  You are going well.  Eat your proteins, drink your watch, wacth the carbs and exercise...and everything will be alright!!!

Fay

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

wls2011
on 11/3/11 1:01 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 My plan is the same, focus on protein and portion size, not on calories....but I do think about them to some extent, every diet I have ever been on emphasized calories in-calories out....& early on was worried I was way under calories...but it all worked out OK....

As far as undereating goes along with exercising....I think it is fine if you are not having symptoms..if you are constantly fatigued, weak, or lightheaded...you need to up your food intake somehow...but I'd only do that, if you find it happen a lot.

I never really added more food, since I was unable to eat much, even when doing intense workouts where I burned a significant amount of calories....

Now, I did eat high fat foods like the nuts, peanut butter, etc...I also added skim chocolate milk at night sometimes before bed based on my personal trainer's advice....I did not worry about carbs at all....& of course, I did try to always get in the protein first, so far I have had enough energy to do my workouts and not be dragging....

So keep up the good work with the exercise, it really does make a difference in our bodies for the better...

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

acbbrown
on 11/3/11 1:09 am - Granada Hills, CA
If you look at all the sucessful vets around here, they all pretty much had a common plan.

Calories between 600-800
Carbs under 40
Protein 60-70g (if not more)

I don't think its a coincidence. I really think its a shame that surgeons will perform a surgery for obese patients and not give a very structured plan to work with after the fact. 

I work out pretty intensely and keep my calories around 850-900 on days I work out. My extra calories from from a pre/post workout shake so that I am fueling my body appropriately, but I do not worry about net calories at this point.  (and I'm working out between 60-90 min a day running/spin class, etc)

I believe you should just keep it simple at this point. Dont over complicate things, dont over think it. Just have a plan and stick to it and things will work out.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views