Sleeved on Thursday, back home today!

KnitterNY
on 11/13/11 7:43 am - NY
Well, I had my new sleevie done on Thursday. She and I are still getting used to each other, but I'm sure we'll grow to be good friends. Not everything about the hospital was pleasant, but they took amazing care of me. Feeling blessed that I have not needed to take any pain meds since Friday morning. I am feeling much better now and back home. Sip sip sip, walk walk walk, rest rest rest (and my mom makes me blow, blow, blow on the incentive sperometer every hour too). My mom is staying with me for a few days till I'm up and running.

So, any advice for sleeping? I'm a side sleeper, and all this sleeping on my back has been no fun. I tried napping today at home on my side, and it just wasn't so comfy. I could feel my belly heaviness and, I don't know, it just wasn't the same.

Thank you all for your amazing support. I have learned so much on the board. Here's to the future!
HW: 335   SW: 305   CW: 219

Butterflykisses455
on 11/13/11 7:52 am - Zeeland, MI
VSG on 04/16/14
  Welcome Home!!!! 

~Molly~

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 8:23 am - Overland Park, KS
Glad to hear you are back home and doing well! I don't have any advice as I am a side sleeper as well. Maybe pile the pillows up and just try to rest as much as possible. That's sort of what I did when I had my splenectomy and had a huge incision on my side, thus making side lying impossible. 
Jeanne T.
on 11/13/11 8:48 am
Glad to hear you are home and doing well!!!!!  It sounds like your Mom is taking good care of you.  Don't you just love Moms?  I'm thrilled you are not having to take pain meds but sorry to hear that sleeping is a challenge, But I'm sure it will get better soon. 

Blessings,
Jeanne

waitingtoexhale2
on 11/13/11 8:49 am
Welcome home.  We made it thru.

Waitingtoexhale2

The race is not given to the swift or the strong, but to the one that endures to the end.

HW 357
Pre-Op Weight 343
Weight several hours after surgery 339

scorp2413
on 11/13/11 10:12 am - orchard park, NY
I am a side and belly sleeper,and it has been killing me to sleep on my back. I am so tired from recovery that I am getting sleep. I do wish and try everyday hoping to not have to sleep on my back. Congrats!

Eula "Evie" R.
on 11/13/11 10:30 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi,
I am glad you are doing well. I had my surgery April 20th. It didn't seem very long til I could sleep on my side. Yes, you have to learn to live with your sleeve, it has a mind of it's own. Just listen to your Dr and you should be fine. I will be saying a prayer for you.
God Bless
Evie

lovetoread
on 11/13/11 10:42 am - East Amherst, NY
Yay!!! Congratulations!!!

Have you tried using a body pillow to kind of support you so that you could at least partly sleep on your side? It would support your stomach, too.

Or do you hae a reclining chair where you could sleep? You'd be on your back but your head would be sort of raised. That might help.

HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

tillmadd
on 11/13/11 10:43 am, edited 11/13/11 10:43 am - WI
 Hey Knitter- Good to hear from ya! I am a side sleeper too by friday 11/11 I was sleeping on my side. It helps to take a dose of pain reliever about 30 minutes before bed then it will feel much better and you can doze off on your side, also use a lot of pillows. Happy to hear your sleeved!
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Tina W.
on 11/14/11 12:25 am - Cartersville, GA
Hi CONGRATS and WELCOME HOME!

I am a side sleeper too, i would agree to take a little pain meds before sleeping on your side, use a body pillow, and try your right side BEFORE your left (that side is still a little tender and may hurt more, just to be on the safe side i stayed on my right side). Im glad you are doing ok!
Most Active