NEED CARB ADVICE

cnjm6201
on 11/11/11 1:49 pm
I lost 100lbs and have been bouncing around the 160s for 5 months.  I am still in the weight lose phase and I know the mistakes I made because I was eating like I was in maintainence phase.

I am back to 600-800 calorie
60-80 protein
but my struggle is 40 carb.

How do you guys get your carbs that low but meet your fiber.  I am supposed to do 20 fiber a day and that is just impossible at 40 total carbs.  I would have to do about 90-100 to get my fiber in.

Any advice or daily meal plans would be soooooooooo appreciated.

"Be content at whatsoever state you are in."  Phil. 4:11                      
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/11 1:54 pm
VSG on 01/10/12
 Um, is 40 your Total and not net??? 

I think I am supposed to be at 25 net  so I guess that is pretty close to the same, and I am only allowed fruit at the moment. (I oted for the low carb over liquid preop weight loss since I had a few months to get the preop weight down adn use up the glycogen/fat in my liver).  I use things to suppplement my fiber.  Benefiber, coconut flour, etc in shakes.  High fiber veggies and fruit.  It is still hard sometimes, but I have probably only missed it a few days.  The fiber definitely helps me feel full.
mynewlife_75
on 11/11/11 2:03 pm - Grants Pass, OR
I am having the exact same problem and look forward to some suggestions.
My Weight Loss Blog http://tiasnewlife.blogspot.com

cnjm6201
on 11/11/11 2:25 pm
What do you mean by net and total?
cnjm6201
on 11/11/11 2:27 pm
What do you mean by net and total?
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/11 3:09 pm
You can subtract grams of fiber from total grams of carbs to get "net carbs". So, if something has 12 carbs, but 8 are fiber, then it works out to 4 net carbs. It's a philosophy that allows you to deduct fiber carbs from total carbs. In a sense, you get more carbs that way.
It's not nearly as hard as you think to get the fiber in and stay under 40 total carbs. The following link has some good information to help you to better understand fiber and carbs and will give you links to lists of low carb, high fiber foods.
Good luck! lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/p/fiberinfo.htm
cnjm6201
on 11/11/11 3:40 pm

So is the goal of 40 carbs a day, net or total.  I have been trying for total but net 40 would be a lot more doable.

infodiva808
on 11/11/11 3:47 pm
To me the benefits of having your fiber come in food supports this diet well, so I have been counting net carbs and it seems to be working for me. It really helps the constipation issue too and more variety in food. I think that constipation slows weight loss so anything to help move the food through works for me. Others may disagree but in the end we have to tweak our diets as we go along to something that works for us.

katier825
on 11/11/11 8:32 pm
The only way I can get all my fiber is Benefiber. I take it 2x a day.
LeahBea
on 11/12/11 3:37 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
To me, carbs are carbs and I only count total. I'm a little hardcore about carbs and keep it under 20 grams a day, and yes getting in fiber is a little difficult. I've used benefiber, miralax and stool softener. Food wise, sunflower kernels are fairly low carb/high protein and help "move things along" . Pumpkin seeds are also high protein but a little higher carb than I like, but good for fiber as well. Good luck!

Leah

Most Active