Improve your journey - Focus on the Positive!!!

katier825
on 11/16/11 2:38 am
Many times, people will focus on the negative instead of the postitve.  For most of us, the things we see as negative are only temporary.  It may not feel that way when you are going thru it, but I can say from experience that once you reach your goal and look back, you realize that the time has gone by so fast.  If you try really hard to focus on the positive side of things, it will help you thru the tough times.

For example:

Liquid diet - instead of focusing on the your xx weeks of liquid diet, take it day by day.  I would wake up each day and tell myself, today is a liquid day.  After day 3 it was much easier.  It seemed less painful than telling myself I would be on liquids for weeks.

Pain - yes there is pain (this is a major surgery, even if the incisions are little) and everyone's tolerance of pain is different.  But it doesn't usually last more than a couple of weeks.  Take your meds or at least some tylenol to help you through.  But kow that it will get better!

Losing slowly - everyone is different and loses at different rates.  Try not to compare yourself to others.  If you hang in there, the weight will come off.  I lost at an average of 2 lbs per week.  Seemed slow to me, but looking back over the time, it was quick.

Stalls - instead of stressing over the scale not moving, focus on other things that are showing progress such as losing inches, fitting into clothes that didn't fit before, being able to do things you weren't physically able to before, improving or eliminating comorbidities.  I know it's hard...after all it's WLS, we should be losing weight!  But since stalls are a normal part of the process (allowing the body to catch up now and then) it's so much easier to deal with if you just accept that it will happen and try hard not to get frustrated.

If you haven't had surgery yet, I urge you to read everything you can so you know what to expect.  Ask questions of your doctor or here if you want to hear what others have experienced.  Expect to do your share...the weight doesn't go away without your participation.  If you have had surgery, congratulations!  You are on the way to a new and improved you!  Try to keep focused on making your goal!  Hang in there, you CAN do it! 

Sara R.
on 11/16/11 2:48 am
Thank you for this enlightening post :) Its a good reminder for all of us to stay positive, and that everything doesnt go perfect, this isnt a fairy tale, there will be tough times but in the end we chose to have surgery because our weight was making everything more tough than it needs to be.
Happy966
on 11/16/11 2:59 am

Hear, hear!!  I have enjoyed following your journey and seeing all your success.  You are also one of those folks who is pretty consistently positive and upbeat, and I think it makes a world of difference.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

tillmadd
on 11/16/11 3:04 am - WI
 Thanks for the refreshingly positive textual hug we all need to look on the brighter side, this is a journey to better health, there will be mountians and valleys but in the end we are better off.
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Pat H.
on 11/16/11 6:45 am
Great post Katie! Thanks for the reminders because each point can be applied our lives outside of weight loss. I always listen to your advice. Thanks again.

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Crunchy As Can Be
on 11/16/11 12:10 pm - NY
Wonderful post, Katie-- thank you so much for sharing!!
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 52 views