1 DAY POST OP

natural1iloveme
on 11/25/11 5:35 am - TX
I HAVE STARTING TO FEEL SORENESS MOVING IN AND  I FEEL HUNGRY. THEY ARE TELLING ME THAT IT'S NOT HUNGER BUT INFLAMATION TO THE STOMACH WALL, COULDA FOOLED ME! IT STARTS WHEN I SMELL FOOD/COFFEE MY MOM IS EATING IN OR JUST OUTSIDE OUR ROOM. I AM TOLERATING THE ICE CHIPS WELL, THEY ARE SO YUMMY!
calired67
on 11/25/11 6:09 am - Redlands, CA
You are not hungry. It will pass. The thing that you are feeling is a mental trigger to the smell of food. That is not the same as having physical hunger. I am 3 weeks out and it does take some mental toughness to get through the first few days.
  HW:475 SW:433 CW: 375 

cbz1815
on 11/25/11 8:29 am
 The first 2 days were really hard and it really was mostly a mental thing.   You just had major surgery and everything is out of wack.   I craved food the first few days but then it passed.   I was able to sit at Thanksgiving dinner and drink only and was fine with it.  Hang in there - this too shall pass.

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/1002835/tickers/cbz18154ffc4e0ad3061cc9a4a78b5c152e9570.png?1322016825
amberk82
on 11/25/11 9:57 am
I can tell you I had the same thing for about a week after surgery....you are not hungry and it will get better. I am 2 weeks out on Mon and I feel that maybe 2 times a day and its usually when I havent eaten at all and when I eat it goes away.

hollykim
on 11/25/11 10:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You could be hungry. i dont know where your other posters get off aying you arent hungry jut because they arent hungry.

could be a couple of things. Sometimes it takes the ghrelin longer to leave our systems plus some other organs also make a small amt of ghrelin that could be making you feel hunger right now.

Also acid production will make you feel hungry often. if you arent taking a PPI like nexium ask your surgeon for one. once you get the excess acid under control you will have a better ability to figure out wht is going on. if you are taking one you might need a larger dose,to take it more often or a different one altogether.

also dehydration can mimic hunger. are you getting plenty of fluids above and beyond iv fluids if you are still in the hospital?

then,there ARE those people whose hunger does not go away but is greatly diminished. you wont know about that till you progress to solids.

newme2011-2012
on 11/25/11 1:08 pm
I'm 15 days out and here to tell you that I HAVE been truly hungry off and on since surgery.
I believe not everyone loses that hunger feeling.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

doggz109
on 11/25/11 2:02 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
It can take several weeks for the excess ghrelin to leave your body. 
Most Active