This seems wrong......

newme2011-2012
on 11/29/11 1:00 pm
I can drink an 11 oz. RTD protien shake in about 20 minutes...
It seems like I shouldn't be able to drink tha much..Is it just because it is liquids????
Someone PLEASE help me figure this out...
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

newme2011-2012
on 11/29/11 1:45 pm
Please someone answer me.. 27 people have looked , but noone has taken a few seconds to reply..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

LaughingCow
on 11/30/11 12:39 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with

Just b/c someone looks at your thread doesn't mean they know the answer to your question. 

a_blossom
on 11/29/11 1:59 pm
I could not drink that fast, especially my first month. My Dr also said to not drink more than 2 ounces in a 10-15 minute period. I can now drink faster, but not protein shakes. One shake takes me all morning however, I teach, so there is not always a lot of time to focus on drinking.

I cannot abate your concerns. We are each individual; as long as you are not pushing it & making yourself sick, I would think it is just fine.
kimbethin
on 11/29/11 2:06 pm - CA
It may be because it is liquid, I'm not an expert.  How far from surgery are you?  Did it hurt?  Are you following your doc's guidelines?  Some questions are hard to answer without more information.  Sometimes people look at a post but don't answer because they just don't have a good answer.  With a sleeve you shouldn't really eat or drink some things "just because you can"  I can eat a lot of cheetos- but I shouldn't.  Know your plan and stick to it.  It seems like people have a lot of discomfort from testing their sleeve's limits.  It may be better to sip more slowly to allow better absorption of the protein, but your nutritionist could answer your question better than I could.  I hope that helps.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
DebbieL.
on 11/29/11 2:11 pm - OK
I also could drink water and protein shakes fast with no problems.   My dr said that was too much, too fast and to slow it down - to drink a sip every 3-5 minutes.  So that is what I have been doing. 
carrierae
on 11/29/11 2:19 pm - WA
Today my Dr just got on me for drinking too fast. He said yes you can, we didn't shrink your esophagus, it will go right through...but you are not supposed to. I an having to remind myself
KnitterNY
on 11/29/11 3:33 pm - NY
Hi Julie,

It takes me 30 minutes to drink an 11 oz shake, and we had our VSG's done on the same day. It used to take me longer at the beginning. But the nutritionist told me "meals" should take take between 20 and 30 minutes, so if you consider a protein shake a meal, then it seems like you're on track.

Good luck!
HW: 335   SW: 305   CW: 219

karenbarb
on 11/29/11 7:46 pm - Roselle, NJ
Revision on 01/18/12
well, i would say since its a liquid, it slips right down, and i think u are still swollen from the surg. so your new belly is going to take a while to shrink, just keep following your drs. orders..... i am sure that when u start solid protein, u will not be able to tolerate more than a tiny speck ;)

IT IS A NEVERENDING BATTLE, THAT I WILL NOT LOSE

ms_dar
on 11/29/11 9:00 pm - Canada
It was months before I could drink any liquid that fast.  The amount of swelling is different in each of us.  I suggest you try to slow down, if you need to you can limit your intake by pouring into smaller glass and sipping slowly.  You don't want to push even liquids since that puts stress on your healing sleeve.  Try to follow dr orders which is usually, sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk.  It takes awhile to figure out what and when you should be eating/drinking and also how to figure out when you are full enough.  Good luck on your journey.

Most Active