Tried swallowing calcium pill- not good

KnitterNY
on 12/1/11 2:41 am - NY
My surgeon and nutritionist cleared me to start swallowing pills. I cut the calcium pill in half and took it with my lunch. It felt stuck in my throat, and then I threw up a few minutes later. So, I guess I'm not ready for pills yet.

What kind of chewable vitamins do you guys take post op? I need recommendations for a multi and a calcium pill.

Thank you!

Rebecca
HW: 335   SW: 305   CW: 219

jojomoe523
on 12/1/11 2:43 am - PA
i take the viactiv. they come in caramel or chocolate. i like both.

newme2011-2012
on 12/1/11 2:43 am
I've been taking the pills also and have had it get stuck a couple of times.
Now I split it in to 4 pieces and I am fine.
Scary when that happens though.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

abrown8434
on 12/1/11 2:53 am - VA
Caltrate does make "petite" calcium pills so you might want to give those a try.

It took me up to 6 to 8 weeks to be able to take regular sized pills and still, some days, it is a no go.

Best of luck,

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Crystal M.
on 12/1/11 2:57 am - El Paso, TX
It happened to me, too, when I tried to cut the calcium pills in half. But I can swallow them whole with no trouble.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

scalewarfare11
on 12/1/11 3:13 am
VSG on 08/22/11 with
I had a harder time with them cut in smaller pieces, it seemed like the harsh edges were getting stuck in my throat.  I now use the Citracal Petites (found them at Costco) and I dont have a problem with them.  I'll warn you though, Petite doesnt exactly mena Petite, but they are about half of the size of the normal ones.

I have also found that I do MUCH better taking pills with warm liquids instead of just plain cold water.  So I do either tea of my daily part of a cup of coffee when I take them.
Blog: http://adauntingtaleofscalewarfare.com
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011
with Dr. Moazzez of Blue Point Surgical Group

KathyA999
on 12/1/11 3:35 am
I've had trouble swallowing pills all my life.  I can do small ones, and usually coated Tylenol, stuff like that.  For vites & supps, I take Trader Joe's chewable adult multi, Trader Joe's sublingual B-12, Bariatrics Advantage Calcium Chewy Bites and/or Liquid Reviva Calcium (available from Costco online), and a gummy Vit. D that I get from Vitamin Shoppe.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/1/11 3:53 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Celebrate vitamins have lots of chewable options for calcium citrate + and multi vitamins. They also have the ENS powders that you mix with water and its a super all in one drink, calcium citrate, multi vitamin and I think a few more things. Its pretty much all one needs for the day or at least a good part. Also healthdesigns.com have calcium citrate chewable wafers. All on line and delivered to your door.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Mom4Jazz
on 12/1/11 4:09 am
If you're counting carbs, it takes a LOT of carbs to get enough calcium using chewables. I discovered this because I log the calories/carbs in my supplements. Between the calcium and my fiber supplements we were near 100 calories and over 20 grams of carbs!

I use NOW calcium citrate powder (online at lots of places, Netrition.com is one) mixed in two protein drinks a day. Also works in coffee and a lot of other things.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/1/11 5:02 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Celebrate has a calcium citrate 500 +. They recommend 3 tablets a day as 1 serving size and the total carbs are 4 so... That's not bad? What fiber supplement do u take? How long after surgery can u start to take that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active