OMG DUMPING!!!!

VegasLAbound
on 12/22/11 2:03 am - Cleveland, OH
So today at work we had our holiday party and I was good and planned for the few sweets I knew I would eat. I ate a tiny cluster nut bar and two holiday cookies. I was fine then about ten minutes into the party I became hot and dizzy. The room tilted back and forth and I ran to the bathroom. i was so nauseated and had intense pain for about 45 to an hour. I left early because dumping is just that the dumping of your insides out.

Krazydoglady
on 12/22/11 2:12 am - FL
I hope you feel better.  It cetainly sounds unpleasant.

One study I read suggests that 16% of those who have VSG suffer 'reactive hypoglycemia' or 'dumping.'  It's certainly not at the same rate as for RNY (80%) , it can and does happen.  I have to find the study, again, but I'll post the link here if if anyone is interested.

I haven't gone through it, but I really don't want to either. I tend to avoid anything with sugar in it as a matter of course beyond maybe a small taste of a dessert (1/2 a fork or less) at a restaurant. 

Feel better!

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

happyteacher
on 12/22/11 2:27 am
 Holy crap, didn't even know this could happen to sleevers.  It was one of the more important reasons I went with the sleeve!  I hope  you are better now.  Could it have been a reaction to one of the items you ate?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 2:58 am
It happens to unaltered folks too, I've dumped 2-3 times pre-op.. none since. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 3:23 am
I think that's a common misconception. Definitely possible. I hope I never have to experience it though! 
Carmelita
on 12/22/11 2:34 am - Four Corners, NM
PrettyEyes_41
on 12/22/11 2:52 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I have IBS and I have similar occurrences. It's been so bad as to make me get extremely dizzy, overheat with severe sweating, along with horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea enough so that I pass out. I've found myself on the bathroom floor more than once from it. I was hoping to avoid some of this by selecting the sleeve over the RNY but it sounds like it's still a minimal possibility. My Dr. says the IBS may decrease with my weight loss too. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sorry you're going through this, I know what it feels like and it's terrible. Hope you feel better soon.
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 3:05 am
Hi! Do you have IBS-d? I do, and have exp dumping prior to surgery... on things with a lot of fat/or fat & sugar combined.. but no episodes since.. Likely due to the diet/quantity change (though I have tested the waters once, w/o issue).

My IBS only flared once since surgery, after I ate a trigger food on an empty stomach.. thankfully it only lasted an hour or so.. no other problems since that one time, and no issues losing for me. Dumping is a possibility post gastric surgery of any kind, and also in anyone in general.. it is rare in both cases, but can happen. 

VegasLAbound
on 12/22/11 3:19 am - Cleveland, OH
I've never had IBS or any indication of the sort. I definitely got sweaty and hot and then i knew i was going to faint. it was horrible. Glad thats over and I thought I could save my carbs for the party well guess what... never happening again. It was rough.

tripmom02
on 12/22/11 3:16 am - NJ
 Do you still have your gal bladder? I used to have what we thought was horrible IBS, with all the same symptoms that you are describing, but when they took my gal bladder out every single one of them went away. Turns out I had what is called Chronic Cholecystitis and having the gal bladder taken out cured it. If you are pre-op, maybe inquire about them taking a look at your GB while they are in there, the inflamation can be seen but not always felt (or can be thought of as other things like gas or heart burn). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views