I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY

VegasLAbound
on 12/27/11 6:54 am - Cleveland, OH
So i've only just noticed about the past week or so I have been hungry and always reaching for something. Its still not alot of food but I am worried about the effects of this. I have been taking my Prilosec (prescribed) when I feel hungry and still having that same feeling. I can't let this effect my weightloss. Does anyone have any recommendations? I chew gum alot could this be the problem?

Sara R.
on 12/27/11 7:07 am
I think that chewing gum increases saliva production. I know that when i chew gum, sugar free or not, i am always so hungry, craving all kinds of foods. also, could it be TOM?
buttercupnectar
on 12/27/11 7:08 am
I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago and found myself hungry through the Christmas festivities also.  I feel that my hunger is all mental and not physical but it still feels just as powerful if not more so.  Are you chewing sugar-free gum?  Sugar is an appetite stimulant.  I also think that because having food in our mouths has gotten us where we are that it may be a habit that you want to try to get rid of.  I would perhaps try to drink your water or Crystal Light because the liquids will fill your stomach as well.  If you are still hungry then you know it is what I call "Head Hunger".  Go outside for a walk away from food.  This will get easier as time goes by but won't be bulletproof.  We food lovers will always have to be on guard against Head Hunger.  If it persists you maywant to talk to a therapist who can ehlp you develop tools for handling this hunger.

Good Luck and I look forward to hearing from someone who has dealed with this issue and come out on top.

BriarRose
on 12/27/11 7:28 am
I get hungry, but I am almost a year out. I'm sitting at my desk at work eating raw mushrooms dipped in hummus for an afternoon snack !!! Mushrooms = almost zero calories; hummus = 80 calories in about 3 tablespoons. Plus 3gr protein in each !!!

That should keep me full until dinner time --

and it's yummy !!!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
bersjourney
on 12/27/11 7:32 am
Hi there, I haven't had surgery yet but my nut said to never chew gum and if I do happen to chew it to never swallow it. If I can remember I will ask why.
  Ber HT: 5'0 ~ 1st GW: 199 "My journey starts within myself."
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Crunchy As Can Be
on 12/27/11 7:41 am - NY
I'm not always hungry, but I'm often hungry. I take my Nexium and feel it's likely not acid.

I do often think that it's thirst masking as hunger... so unless it's truly been a few hours since I've had a meal, or if a cheese stick or some other protein snack doesn't do the trick, I push fluids. That usually does the trick.

Before/during/after my period though, there's no curing my hunger and all bets are off! I'm usully jut a hungry grump during those times. :P
 ~~Emily~~

cryssyd
on 12/27/11 8:35 am - NY
I know I know I know....head hunger is a beast. I just had my sleeve one 2 weeks ago and sometimes I find myself starving. Since I am still on liquids and will be for another two weeks, it feels unbearable but usually if I drink some broth, it helps. I think someone else said that eating is an addiction for most of us. I tend to think they are right, just like any other addiction it can be broken. I know that years ago when I stopped smoking sometimes I wanted a cigarette so bad I didn't know what to do but I didn't give into the craving. I think to some extent head hunger is similar and we need to hang in there until we can kick it instead letting it kick us.
cryssyd
on 12/27/11 8:39 am - NY
I know I know I know....head hunger is a beast. I just had my sleeve one 2 weeks ago and sometimes I find myself starving. Since I am still on liquids and will be for another two weeks, it feels unbearable but usually if I drink some broth, it helps. I think someone else said that eating is an addiction for most of us - maybe in another thread, I tend to think they are right, just like any other addiction it can be broken. I know that years ago when I stopped smoking sometimes I wanted a cigarette so bad I didn't know what to do but I didn't give into the craving. I think to some extent head hunger is similar and we need to hang in there until we can kick it instead letting it kick us.
sunnymicki
on 12/27/11 10:05 am
Are you doing low carb?  Or low carb but let "holiday carbs" sneak in?

Because I never dealt with much hunger at all until I let some of my own holiday carbs into my diet.  Just two days of a little bit of processed carbs (like  1/4 C stuffing and mashed pototaoes) and I was HUNGRY!  Amazing how those carbs create the urge to eat more!  Once I'm back to low carb (my only carbs being steamed veggies and fiber), no more hungry feelings.

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been mentioned.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

RubyTues
on 12/27/11 10:10 am - Canada
When you chew gome you salivate more and when you swallow it you create it starts your digestive juices moving.
I sometimes have a hunger feelign but if I drink some water and it subsides for a bit then I know it was that, but if I still feel it after some sips then I usually have a couple bites of tuna or cheese.

Most Active