Words of encouragement for those about to be sleeved

kch561
on 1/2/12 6:56 am - CT
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I had my surgery, and I want to share my story with everyone pre-op who's getting nervous or questioning their decision.

By FAR, the worst part of the entire VSG process for me was the 12-day pre-op diet, especially the last two days, where I could have only clear liquids and sf Jell-O.  Seriously.  I was so hungry and miserable, I felt nearly homicidal.  So if you're having a rough time with your pre-op diet, take it from me -- it all gets better from here on out!

I was sleeved 12/6 at 7:30 am and did so well with walking and sipping fluids that my surgeon discharged me from the hospital a day early, at my request.  Because I have sleep apnea, I had to stay in recovery 5 hours (hospital regulation); during this time, I took my first walk.  I even got out of bed at 2:30 am that night to walk around the floor, which definitely helped with gas pains. Total time in the hospital:  35 hours (one night).

On a scale of 1-10, my pain (discomfort) was maybe a 2, and I stopped the pain meds the day after I got home (Day 3).  For comparison purposes, I had my gallbladder removed in 2008, and the post-op pain after that was MUCH worse.

Overall, I'm thrilled that things have gone so well.  

I do realize not everyone has it as easy as I had it, and complications can happen, but for you newbies to the site who are wondering how bad surgery and post-op are going to be, keep in mind that some people have no complications whatsoever.  As I wrote earlier, the pre-op diet was by far the worst part of my whole VSG experience.

Good luck and happy new year.  2012 is going to be a transformative one for us all!

Kelly

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 7:30 am - belleville, MI
Thank you so much for your encouraging story. Makes me feel so much better.
kch561
on 1/2/12 8:12 am - CT
You're very welcome. I hope and pray you have as uneventful a time in the hospital as I had! Keep us posted.

cpbkmb06
on 1/2/12 7:38 am
VSG on 02/02/12
Thank you for posting this!! I have 31 days until I am sleeved and I can't wait! I AM very nervous about the pre-op diet so keep your fingers crossed!
kch561
on 1/2/12 8:11 am - CT
Truly, the pre-op diet SUCKS. You still have your full stomach, cranking out all its ghrelin (hunger hormone), which made me feel hungry ALL THE TIME.  Also, I discovered almost immediately when I started the pre-op diet that I have a food intolerance to whey, which is the main protein source in about 95% of all protein shakes, including the one my surgeon made me get.  I spent the better part of 4 days in the bathroom until he told me to stop taking the shakes and instead eat lean protein for the following 6 days.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Maria P.
on 1/2/12 7:57 am
VSG on 01/09/12
 TFS! I will be sleeved next Monday and I'm nervous and excited. I had my gallbladder out too and I expected this to be similar pain-wise, so I'm glad to hear your sleeve wasn't as bad! 
5'3"  Age 38

HW: 216
Month 1: 20.6
kch561
on 1/2/12 8:06 am - CT
You're very welcome.  As a bonus, your surgeon just might use the incision scars you have from the gallbladder removal when he/she does your VSG (mine did even though they were from another surgeon!). Good luck and keep us posted!

Helen B.
on 1/2/12 8:23 am - Appleton, WI
Congratulations!  I thought I wanted the RNY, but now am thinking the Sleeve might be better for me since I take a lot of meds and I'm concerned about absorption.

Good luck!
Helen    
princessleah613
on 1/2/12 8:44 am - PA
VSG on 01/19/12
 Thank you so much for sharing. I am 3 weeks away from my surgery, and one week from my pre-op diet.  I am nervous as heck about the pre op diet and I have been eating like there will never be food again!  Thankfully, today I started to calm down and decided that this is only going to be more difficult if I don't stop! All in all, I am really excited! I am not nervous about the surgery itself, as I have had 4 c-sections, bilateral mastectomies, a hysterectomy, and breast  (and nipple) reconstruction called the flap, where they actually removed my stomach muscles and fat and microscopically reattached it as my new breasts.  But this by far is one surgery I am looking forward towards for me!!

Can't wait!!

Leah

mamachristi
on 1/2/12 12:26 pm
VSG on 01/24/12
I think we have the same story.  I am 3 wks out as well.  I have been eating like crazy and can't seem to stop.  What are you doing to prepare yourself for the pre-op diet?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views